Traverse City, MI

Scott-and-Rene0
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Traverse City, MI

Welcome to Traverse City, MI

Hopefully this is where we can share a discussion of local interest from around our region.

59 Replies 59

Hi,  You are not alone.........  She has sent similar letter(s) to at least one or more persons in Garfield.  Yes there is a defense and you may be totally legal.  I am not a lawyer but have been through a similar experience two years ago in Peninsula Township.    Please get me your email so conversations can be off line.   Regards,

Curt ****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Anne503
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Hello, All! I am new to Air bnb, and I have a question about first time rental discounts. When listing my space, I selected an option for first time renters to receive 15% off, and I can't figure out how to change that setting as I don't want to use it anymore. Please advise! Thanks. 

Good question. I have searched the site and find no references to that discount. I even googled it. You could try twitter as I know they respond quickly.

Thanks for your response, Rene. I wish I could remember the wording of the option, but before I published my listing, the site recommended a first time renters' discount of 20%. I lowered it to 15% and thought it was only for the first renter I'd have, but I've booked two renters now, and the rate has been discounted for both 😞 I have scoured the site, and I am really frustrated that I can't "undo" or even locate this option. I will try Twitter though I don't have an account. I really appreciate your help!

I don't see it.  So go to your listing and then "pricing".   That is the only place I see discounts listed and for me it is only weekly or monthly option.   I do not see first time renters listed at all.  In Traverse City don't listen to airbnb about pricing.  They always suggest lowering your pricing.  But the TC market in the summer is huge.  No discounts are needed at all.  Here are the phone numbers for airbnb in the USA:  United States +1-415-800-5959 +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free).   Let us know how it all works out.   Curt

Thanks, Curt. I've tried all the pricing options for listings as well, and I don't see it there. I swore it was a final step before I posted the listing, but maybe I just imagined it. I was also doing the math on my payout versus my listing price, and it seemed that around 15% was taken. The reservation page doesn't show a breakdown of Air bnb fees. Do you know their policy? And I'm assuming they take the fees out of your listing price versus adding it on to your listing price. If you know any more, please advise. I will check out those help numbers, too. Thanks again! 

What is your listing.  I will look at it and see the price and details.  Curt.

If you are new to this make sure your house/home/room is super clean.  It has to be spotless.  Just saying.  Curt

Thanks for the tip. Our listing is on Paysage Place in Garfield Township. Title is "Quiet, Cozy Room for Rent 5 min. from Downtown TC." Had some additional guests book today, and it did not appear that it took out quite as much for fees. 

I am having a hard time finding your listing.  Where are you on the map?   Regards,  Curt

So the only deduction you should see from asking price is the approximate 6% airbnb fee.  The new Michigan tax of about 6% comes out of the guests fee.    Curt

We are listed in Garfield Township on Paysage Place (near the intersection of Zimmerman and Silver Lake Roads, not far from Francisco's Market). 

When I look at your listing the price is $115.  As a newcomer you may soon come to the conclusion that a two night minimum is best for you.   When we started a few years back we quickly learnted that 1 night stays were tough based on the constant cleaning of the living space and towels and sheets.  It was too much hassle.  From your calendar it looks like you are doing just fine.  We do not do instant book because we like to know who is coming into our house but you may have good results.  One more suggestion is that you may want to uncheck the breakfast icon.  You do make it clear that there is a coffee machine and mini fridge.  But in case Garfield county tax equilization goes after you based on a complaint you need to protect yourself from being considered a Bed and Breakfast.   Your township did go after a host two years ago claiming they were a B and B and that they should lose their Primary Residence Exemption (PRE).  The host won that case at the Michigan Tax Tribunal court in TC.  But you do make it clear that guests can bring their own food.  The key thing is that you are NOT serving your guests.  They serve themselves.   Also to preserve your 100% PRE tax reduction the space you rent must be less than 50% of your total living space to retain 100%.   If you rent more than 50% you could have your PRE reduced by 50%.   What you are doing is totally legal from what I see.  I am not a lawyer though.  Have fun.

Regards,  Curt

Gary200
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Greetings to other Airbnb Hosts within the city limits of Traverse City.

Since receiving the recent letter from the City of Traverse City to stop all Airbnb activity, I spoke at the City Commission Meeting of November 9th, 2017. This was at the end of the meeting where the general public is able to address the Commission for a couple of minutes on any topic.

I related the positive experience for myself and my wife hosting Airbnb, the respectfullness of our guests, and the benefits to Traverse City. I asked ths Commissioners if they would be open to taking another look at allowing Airbnb's within the city.

A couple of days later I met one of the Commissioners for coffee.

I found out that a few vocal people are against Airbnbs in the city for the stereotype reasons of absentee hosts and unruly guests. These are the people the Commissioners have been hearing from and responding to. They need to hear more from Airbnb Hosts and others who are for Airbnbs.

City Commission Meetings are the 1st & 3rd Mondays of the month. The next one is November 20th. Right now I can't make that one. Can someone please go to it and tell your positive story of Airbnb? Let's make our voices heard and try to get Airbnb legal in TC by Summer time of 2018.

Go to traversecitymi.gov for City Commission Meeting information

Gary ****

Boardman Neighborhood

Hi Gary, 

Please join our group "Alliance for Responsible Grand Traverse Home Sharing".   We are a very informal group but we have presented two weeks ago at our Peninsula Twp. Planning Commission the positives that you talk about.   They held an open forum on short term rentals and airbnb.  They too have been getting complaints about home owners who allow a nuisance situation to occur.   Can you include your email. 

So what did the letter say?  A potential zoning violation?  You are at least a bit lucky.  They gave you a fair warning.  On the Peninsula they just simply yank your PRE and your taxes double unless you can mount a good defense at the Michigan Tax Tribunal.  Our group has defended twice and won both times (once in peninsula twp and once in Garfield twp.) 

Regards,

Curt

[Personal information hidden for safety reasons]

City of Traverse City on Airbnb.pdf

Hi Curt,
 Thanks for the reply. I'm having trouble sending a copy of that letter.

Gary 
[Personal information hidden for safety reasons - to use the direct messaging system here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo of the person and click 'Send Message']

Hey Guys,

I just met with another downtown TC Airbnb proponent (we've both received our letter to cease and desist from continuing to offer short term rentals in town).  We discussed bringing this issue to the city to see if we can get them to look at making changes to the existing rules preventing such rentals.  We've got some ideas of what the objections are (real or imagined issues) and want to address this in a calm, logical, and respectful way. 

I've rented my primary residence downtown for the last 2 summers via Airbnb and VRBO and had excellent experiences each time.  All it takes is a little effort upfront in screening and educating guests.  Anyway, I will be meeting with this friend again in about a week to start organizing our plan of attack.  I will keep you posted on our progress.

This seems like an uphill battle as there are some old/misinformed stereotypes about who these short term renters are and how they behave.   Therefore, we'll need to have as many "friends" speaking at the City Commission Meeting when the time is right.  Let's start asking around to see who'd be wiling to make their voices heard. 

There are many good things about Airbnb/VRBO/etc.  It would be a shame if a vocal minority prevents this opportunity for those that desire it.

More to come...

Sincerely,

Dave