Traverse City, MI

Scott-and-Rene0
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Traverse City, MI

Welcome to Traverse City, MI

Hopefully this is where we can share a discussion of local interest from around our region.

59 Replies 59

Hello,  Started a short term renal in Garfield Township this year and just received a letter stating a violation of Zoning Ordinance, Section 201 and Article 3.  I saw an article in the Record Eagle regarding a law suit.  Looking for assistance and joining a group to support AirBnB in our community.  Any information and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Debra,

Please describe the letter and who sent it.  Is this a cease and desist order?  So what is not allowed in a R1 zoning district is a vacation house rental of less than 30 days.      What is your situation?   Do you rent the whole house or just a portion?  Also can you advise me of the article you saw in the Record Eagle.    Regards,  Curt *****

resident of Grand Traverse County

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – to send a direct message here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Curt,

I am not sure if it is a cease and desist order, but it threatens to remove my PRE. It states that per zoning ordinance, Section 201 and Article 3. Amy L. DeHaan Garfield Township Assessor renting for any term less than 30 consecutive days is not allowed in Garfield Township. I rent on weekends 39% of my home and I do not serve any type of food. I am living in the upper level home and I am here while the Airbnb guest are present. In review of the Michigan Principal Residence Exemption Program I am still eligeble for the PRE.  Am I in voilation based on this information of a Garfield Township Ordinance based on your expertise? Are there any groups or forums in Garfield Township or TC that I can join. The article in the Record Eagle noted a law suit by Bill Murphy and his Attorney Joe Quandt, I do not know the exact date Sept 2017, or out come of that legal action. Please contact me *****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – to send a direct message here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Jeffrey74
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

This is Jeff Shaw.  I am an Airbnb host in Elmwood Township in Leelanau County.  I wanted to let any hosts who have Airbnb's in Elmwood know that the Elmwood Township Board has been asked to consider prohibiting Airbnb rentals in Elmwood.  The meeting is Monday, January 14, 2019 at the Elmwood Township Hall.  Anyone interested in continuing to do Airbnb in Elmwood should attend and voice their opinion.

Thank you.

Jeff Shaw

Greetings Jeff: While I do not live in Elmwood Twp but in East Bay Township, I'm still very interested in learning the outcome of this meeting on the 14th.  Would you kindly provide an update here and share the outcome?  While East Bay Township has enacted an ordinance in June of 2018, it is still not being enforced until March of 2019.  We are also working on getting the ordinance amended too.  Blessings and good luck.  Marlene Baldwin

MJandBob0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

We are looking for a housekeeper that can troubleshoot and be there for check-ins to greet our guests. Can you suggest a  reputable person in the Acme Mi area?

Jim589
Level 1
Suttons Bay, MI

What is the best set up (bet sizes) for a two bedroom condo.I'm new to this discussion group. 

I have a 2 bedroom condo and I will soon rent it on AirBnb in th eTraverse City Area. 

Bedroom one has a King Bed. Should the second bedroom have a Queen or Two Twins?

I’d suggest a queen but I think it’ll rent either way. If you can toss in a pull out sofa that’s nice too. 

Marvin-and-Lindsay0
Level 2
Michigan, United States

Hi Locals!

Has anyone done a rental for longer than 28 days? I’ve had someone contact me to rent for 3 months during the winter to go skiing. 

I feel like there are Michigan laws that give them tenant rights after 28 days. Any thoughts! 

Thanks! 

Lindsay 

Kelsey120
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Hello! 

I am new to hosting Airbnb and looking to get any insight on renting in TC. My place is within walking distance to Little Fleet but I'm not sure if you are allowed to Airbnb that close to downtown?

Any info helps!

You need a permit from the city unless in commercial zoning district.   VOTE for Dave Durban for City Commission in Nov and get all your friends to vote for him.  He wants a more liberal policy.   Curt Peterson.   

Kelsey120
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

On line.   You look up the zoning map to see if you are in commercial.  Or call the zoning administrator and ask him/her.   If you are in residential it will be really tough as I believe all permits have been granted as the city limited the number.

Jim54
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

It seems something wrong with this thread.

Beth140
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

Buying a condo that is being built in downtown Traverse City on Gillis that will be available on Airbnb as a short term rental. We live and work  in Ann Arbor.  Looking for info on reliable and trustworthy cleaners and possibly an experienced cohost in this area. Look forward to your help.