Trust and Safety Department and Host Guarantee Failing

Xavier120
Level 2
Austin, TX

Trust and Safety Department and Host Guarantee Failing

On October 29th, guests threw a raging party at my house causing a great deal of damage. AirBNB initially seemed to take this seriously and began the process to cover it with the Host Guarantee. As the months dragged on their adjusters finally submitted their report to the agent handling my claim. The agent finally made an offer for less than half the actual claim, ignoring lost revenue, repair costs, and other associated expenses. Despite this low ball offer I immediately replied requesting clarification. That's where everything came to a halt. I have yet to receive any kind of reply, have called in every day multiple times only to be told it's being handled by a Trust and Safety team member. This is the same person who is refusing to reply in any way. I'm unsure what to do at this point as my lost revenue is only increasing as time continues, guests wanting to book my place are continuing to be inconvenienced and my home is still not repaired. 

To make matters worse, there's no apparent way to contact this Trust and Safety Team. I continue calling into AirBNB support however they only tell me they will escalate the issue and someone will get back to me. Yet, no one does. Anyone have any advice?

13 Replies 13
Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Xavier120  The only way this kind of issue has been solved promptly by Airbnb is if the media was involved. Contact your local newspaper, radio station or TV. Hopefully you will have photos of the damage. It also helps if, at the moment you discover damage or vandalism, to get the police to take photos and issue a report. You could try Airbnb facebook and tell them you are going to the media, or try twitter. It seems that bad PR is the only thing that really moves Airbnb.

It's just dissapointing as AirBNB is now refusing to honor their previous agreements and pay for things they originally agreed to verbally and in writing.

Thanks Monica.

Xavier120
Level 2
Austin, TX

Making matters even worse Airbnb agreed to cover and reimburse for damages, costs and lost revenue in writing multiple times. So, of course, I proceeded with repairs and buying replacements. Now after they make a payment offer for a 1/3 of the claim value I'm told they will not cover many of the things they agreed to previously. 

Airbnb is also stating they strive to resolve most of these cases in a week. It's been 2+ months thus far and my case manager or anyone able to work on this case is impossible to contact. I'm losing faith in AirBNB's published promises as they are operating in bad faith. 

@Xavier120 here’s a YouTube video that explains it perfectly 

https://youtu.be/PAswVl_KZVU

Den0
Level 3
United Kingdom

Airbnb Host Guarantee denies valid claim following airbnb guest floods and significantly damages a luxury bathroom! Airbnb requests immediate repair during the christmas holidays and furthermore requests an immediate invoice. Upon receipt of the invoice of the repair, they deem it invalid as it doesn't carry a logo of the company - the company doesn't have a logo, it's not legal requirement! The invoice is issued by the largest invoicing and accounting system in Denmark used by most Danish companies and most companies do not carry a logo! Airbnb on numerous occasions state that they cannot verify the building company company, which again is a lie, is this simply to avoid paying out the insurance claim albeit they easily verify using one of a number of free online company registries! Airbnb then mistakenly states that two completely difference companies with complete different names, addresses and ownership, one being a cleaning company (with a logo!!!) and the building company are exactly the same company but with difference addresses - again, they will not see reality in front of them, - again is this just an excuse to play incompetent to avoid paying the claim? Airbnb furthermore demands numerous of times that a new invoice for the already carried out repair is to be issued by any completely other company - which is obviously against the law and impossible!!! Airbnb also receives a claim from the airbnb guest that checked in the same day following the damages, the guest even requests a refund due to the inconvenience of the damages. Airbnb denies this claim too. Then as the final straw, Airbnb makes their final decision to close the case and no longer communicate with the host on the matter, even though there are numerous of outstanding questions as to how they can be so mistaken and deny the valid claim verified by their own guests, on the same day as they heavy begin to advertise to all hosts that they are protected by their host guarantee - really? 

Xavier120
Level 2
Austin, TX

Yeah, I even had my case manager outright lie saying certain things were not covered under the Host Guarantee. Even more ridiculous on many occasions he'd stated in writing it would be covered. Then tried to deny the coverage providing the terms and conditions to the Host Guarantee, which when read clearly states it is covered. After weeks of silence to my having pointed that out to him, he finally updates his payout offer to include a fraction of the missing revenue. Even worse, I finally was contacted by his supervisor who provided a breakdown of the payout. The manager's breakdown, when totaled didn't even come close to the updated or even original offer he or my case manager made.  

I’ve been a superhost for 2+ years and have even represented Airbnb in local city council meetings. A guest threw a rager, there were bullet holes in my home and major damage. Have a police report. The adjusters they retained did their job and submitted their recommendation to Airbnb. RADIO SILENCE SINCE THEN. Can’t get anyone to respond back to me. Called Airbnb multiple times but they apparently can not transfer me to their trust and safety department and ask me to continue waiting on the same peson who won’t respond back. I have 12 priorities listed on Airbnb. But it’s most ardent supporter. But this is beyond shocking and unprofessional and truly an eye opener. I am thinking about engaging counsel and taking them to court. I have contractors waiting to be paid and I’ve been put in legal peril by Airbnb.. which doesn’t even have courtesy to respond back to me. I told the one of the reps on the phone that this experience is wanting me to get off the platform altogether, and that was met with, “that’s fine.”  Unbelievable. 

Robert812
Level 2
Ramsgate, United Kingdom

The so called Trust & Safety team are not the only department to decide they do not want to engage with you. After spending two weeks putting together evidence of damage caused by a guest requested by Airbnb they sent me a standard letter saying the claim was denied and the case was closed. A year later I am still getting the standard reply:

Please be advised that, per our Terms of Service, Airbnb reserves the right to make the final determination with regard to these disputes. We are unable to reconsider the decision made in this case — we've issued our final decision and will uphold it accordingly.

As further communication will not change the outcome of this case, we must respectfully disengage from further discussion.

This was so enfuriating that I looked for legal representation and found it with a firm in Dublin who wanted me to join a group action. I told Airbnb and they couldn't care less and after much consideration I decided to drop the action as it would no doubt ruin my relationship with Airbnb moving forward, they might even blacklist me and most of all it would become an unwelcome distraction and worry. I don't care about being right, or about the money, (the claim was £1500 for damage to the house and contents with some missing items) my problem is that the Trust & Safety department will not tell me why they denied my claim, they may as well have just called me a liar. Airbnb are a massive company, the original ethos is no longer present, if you make money from being a host then it is your decision to use them or not. It's an unpleasant realisation but this is our future with online companies, no one is accountable, there is no way of escalating your problem or disputing their decision, in Airbnb's case, there is no host guarantee and the security deposit is not secure, that's the unfortunate truth of it. 

Same thing is happenign to me. they are issuing a standard email saying I didnt submit request in time, although I called them THE DAY of checkout and put all evidence in the thread that they provided me in the "travellers" side, which I told them was weird and we should have the support thread in the "hosting" side. They said , dont worry , we see both the travellers and hosting side. Now they are saying I didnt submit in time and THEY deleted that thread in the travellers side. I have proof of the call from my phone company, yet they keep saying it wasnt submitted in time. The call was 12 minutes in length. Airbnb is dishonest and their "host guarantee" is a complete crock of crap. 

Susan612
Level 8
United States

If this has not been resolved contact Chris Elliot 

Chris Elliot is a consumer advocate. Google him to get his contact details of where to submit. He and his team have  resolved a number of Air Bnb issues 

Susan612
Level 8
United States

Yes the original ethos is no longer present. Secondly though many case managers give incorrect answers so it is always good to try again to state your case afresh with someone new. And there is always arbitration