Trying to understand moderate cancellation policy

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Trying to understand moderate cancellation policy

• Free cancellation until 5 days before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email).
  • After that, cancel before check-in and get a full refund, minus the first night and service fee.

Above is the language that Airbnb has for the "Moderate" policy.

So what happens if the check-in time is not set? For example, you chose flexible start and end times.

Also, what happens for example if a guest books a 7 night stay, but cancels let's say on the 3rd day of their check-in, after never actually checking in?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pete69  This is an example of Airbnb's confusing, incomplete, and ambiguous  wording. By flexible check-in time, I assume you mean your listing allows guests to check in anytime on the day their booking starts, or anytime after a set time. 

I also use moderate and have an 11am-11pm check-in window.

Just because you have flexible check-in time, check-in day is still check-in day, not 3 days later.

With moderate, if they never show and cancel 3 days into a 7 night booking, it seems they should be charged for the entire booking, as they didn't cancel before check-in. But Airbnb might refund them all the nights after the first 3, when they cancelled.

Never having faced this situation, I can't say for sure.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pete69  where did you find the sentence you cited? Bc here is what I see:

Moderate

• Free cancellation until 5 days before check-in (time shown in the confirmation email).
  • After that, cancel before check-in and get a 50% refund, minus the first night and service fee.

Here is the link https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, that's the page for moderate, but really I'm also posing this question as it applies to the "Flexible" policy. It doesn't say what happens if a guest waits until day 2, day 3, etc to cancel.

And do you know what time would be shown in the guest's confirmation email if the host did not set a check-in time frame (in their settings)? Perhaps it would be 12:01 midnight (the very first minute of their check-in day).

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pete69see below, in red

Bez naslova12.png

If there's no check-in or checkout time specified within a listing's description, check-in is 3:00 p.m. local time and checkout is 11:00 a.m. local time. You can also message your Host to verify check-in details prior to your check-in date. ( source: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/41/how-do-i-coordinate-checkin-details-with-my-host )

Google is your friend 🙂