Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

Airbnb
Official Account

Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) has posed unprecedented challenges for the world, including our community of hosts and guests. This is a once-in-a-generation crisis, and we know hosts like you are feeling the biggest impact—so many of you rely on income from your Airbnb properties, and you’re facing a lot of uncertainty right now. 

Over the past three weeks, we’ve hosted more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world to connect and hear your feedback. As a follow-up, CEO Brian Chesky will be talking to you from his home in San Francisco. He’ll be answering some of the questions you’ve asked about our extenuating circumstances policy, how to host during COVID-19, and more.

Bookmark this page to watch his talk live at 3:00 p.m PT Monday, March 30. Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event. 

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID—we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on everything we're doing to support our community.

Thank you once again for being a host. We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

171 Replies 171

@Keith-and-Jeanette0  You're a day early. It's being broadcast Monday at 3PM Pacific Time, not 3PM your time.

Andy-and-Trudi0
Level 2
Bridge of Allan, United Kingdom

Am I the only person who doesn't want to host for the foreseeable? Apart from the fact that due to social distancing/lockdown etc we are banned from hosting in our homes and nothing is open other than food shops, we still have live bookings from May onwards. We re going to have to cancel them at great cost to us even though, a) they are unlikely to be able to travel here and b) they would be breaking our new rules regarding non-essential travel for a start. This thing isn't going to go away in  few weeks, we're being told it could be 6 months before we get back to even some kind of normality. I hope they address this in the announcement.

Things going back to normalcy is predicated on two things: reliable 'instant' testing (now done just waiting for supply) and complete cure (looking promising). In both fronts the world, as we speak, are making incredible strides and there are now some very powerful companies & truly brilliant minds on the subject day and night, it is now a matter of time. The minute the world button down those two goals, this will pass and ALL flus in the future will also not be so deadly.

Yes, When people will start traveling again is indeed the million dollar question, but lets hope they be 'dying' to do so and refill all our places once again. 🙂

Historically it's taken 12-18 months to develop a vaccine, and Fauci has indicated this as a reasonable estimate as well. My sense is that we can write off 2020 as a bust, with a possible slow return in late 2021, and things back to normal by 2022  That is, if AirBnB is still around at that time.

@Andy-and-Trudi0 

I think it is wise to stop hosting / snooze the listing for the time being. 

Pretty sure your guests will cancel themselves at one point, they are holding your calendar to wait and see and also to wait for ABB to send them the big red button "cancel for free" email.

The Corona is going to be with us all year, you can bet guests will be able to cancel for free well into the autumn.

People travelling now can get sick, be infected or contagious, have any number of issues or problems, if they are honest and not planning on using the situation as a reason to overstay in your place.

I would plan on cancelling everyone, but maybe wait a bit for them to do it first (pretty sure they will). 

Can hosrs receive unemployment insurance due to the lost revenue? Nobody is going to book for the summer months and that's when the vast majority of money is made. How is the passing of the stimulus package for tech companies like airbnb going to transcend to hosts that are potential looking thousands of dollars. Airbnb should put some of their profits back into the hands of their host as their business model would not exist without. How about a monthly stipend based off last year earnings.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Just to confirm the live session with Brian is at 3pm San Francisco time today (March 30th). I know this time isn't suitable for everyone, but as mentioned the recording will be available afterwards, to watch over your breakfast. : )

I know many of you are skeptical about what will be mentioned in the talk, but over the past few weeks i've noticed post after post here in the CC asking for updates from Airbnb. We've got to this time, when there will be more information shared and so for those of you who are thinking about not tuning in or not wanting to listen to anything from the company, I would ask you to rethink this as ultimately this is coming from a good place. (Obviously, I can't guarantee none of the bingo words will come up!)

Thank you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hello Lizzie,

Where can I get more information on The Superhost Relief Fund.

Thank you,

Lori

I just asked our local support person, she told me  they choose you, you can not apply. And it will not be active till mid April. Don't get your hopes up the $$ will only cover 2,000 of us out of 400,000 super hosts

Daniel84
Level 3
Granville, France

Good morning Mr Chesky, as its 9am where you are, I really hope you see this before your address at 3pm. We are hosts in France, we have 3 properties, one of which is a large manoir with 7 bedrooms, pool etc and ALL Of our rentals are locked in by January/February. Every weekend that goes by (and is essentially cancelled) is over 1000€ lost (this property in particular sells at 550€/night) The option of transferring dates for guests is not possible as between April and September we are at 99% occupancy. This is our main source of income and we pay Airbnb enormous amounts of revenue through fees as do our guests.

All of us worldwide have been extremely thankful and loyal to Airbnb for the platform that you provide I am sure, so please do something right and offer some kind of income support for hosts, not just options to reduce fees for the next 6 months or so. Take a hit, just for now. For us! We will pay you back many times over in loyalty and business knowing that the rental platform we are using over the others, is a top tier one. Some people are also investors and know that your IPO is coming up, and from that angle wouldn't you rather be considered a "company to be associated with" instead of being the company that left their business partners in the dark?

We are all business people, as are you. We all need to take hits in revenues and profits as do you, it's just on a larger scale that you can afford it. 

We ask you, do the right thing, make the calculations and look at offering us a percentage of all bookings cancelled until say July, as well as a cut on all fees until the end of 2020. At least that way we know we are in business with a true leader of the tech and accommodation field.

These are one of those moments for a company like yours where you can show investors, partners and the market who you are. 

We hope for the best and don't expect the worst. 

Thank you for your time. 

Daniel. 

Investor and Airbnb host. 

@Daniel84  I can't believe the unrealistic expectations hosts  are placing on Airbnb.  Did hots share their profits with them when times were profitable?  NO.  This is called business and one should expect to take the up side AND the down side.  Since when did Airbnb guarantee hosting income?   If hosts loose their income it's not Airbnb's fault - it's a global pandemic; its a poor business model that didn't account for hard times; it's overextended credit etc...

Airbnb provided a platform for hosts to rent their accommodations.  Period.  They're not going to back stop our down side,  just as they didn't participate in our up side.  And if you tell me we were responsible for them earning fees, please.  They did the work providing an awesome, slick platform which is what earned their fees and allowed you to earn income way beyond market pricing.  They too are participating in a loss of fees, loosing work spaces and employees due to Covid19 and dealing with unreasonable demands from both hosts and guests while trying to navigate a minefield of a world shut down.

Hosts quickly point out that Airbnb isn't sticking to the 'rules' by letting them collect your 50% cancellation fees but then completely ignore that they are following the rules exactly as written and agreed to by all WE hosts by overriding those same cancellation fees.  Hosts want them to stick to the rules that benefit them and ignore the ones that don't.  You can't have it both ways.

@Wendy1071 

Ah well, without even looking at where you're from I am comfortable saying we have found the classic capitalist American in the class.

"Did hots (sic) share their profits with them when times were profitable?" Yes, of course we did, every single time a booking was taken, not only from us but from the guests at well.
Next.
"This is called business and one should expect to take the up side AND the down side" exactly, hence why we are asking Airbnb to take the bad side along with us, that's business. Just like an employee and employer takes the good and the bad, together.
Next.
"Since when did Airbnb guarantee hosting income?" ever since they launched a platform counting solely on the fact that their users guarantee their bookings in their house with said platform. That's when.
Next
" If hosts loose (sic) their income..."
People have secured their income, I assume,and budget as normal, but it doesn't make for a poor business model to ask your business partner (which is essentially what we all are) to take a look at how they can dampen loss of profits, and since airbnb are the main provider of marketing and connection between customer and us, they must take reasonable steps to ensure that money is being made.
Next.
"they're not going to back stop our down side, just as they didn't participate in our up side"
Your comment figuratively contradicts your entire point. Considering how large Airbnb is now worldwide, their hopes to be featured on the stock exchange and the fact that you are using this platform means that they played THE part in our upside, as did we. 50/50. One without the other means a failed business.
Next
Actually I could be here all night if you want me to, the fact is that you have no idea how real business works, clearly, and I don't blame you, most people don't.
But just like a government or an employee sharing profits and pain, we should all be researching ways to make sure all sides are profitable and results driven.

You can rely on airbnb, be a host as you are and trust that they will keep your booking platform as 'slick' as possible, or you can walk away because you don't believe in Airbnbs business model of looking after their hosts and working WITH them to find solutions to get us ALL through this.
But
"You can't have it both ways"

@Daniel84Sure Daniel.  Stick with that and see how it goes for you.

In another way @Wendy1071  I do agree with you, and I agree that we should all take responsibility and care when it comes to planning for the future, for unforeseeable events, and after a conversation with my wife à little more, I see your point of view...

Airbnb can do what they want. I guess people are asking for some kind of support, only for their loyalty.

Apologise if I came off condescending or not so nice.

@Daniel84  "to ask your business partner (which is essentially what we all are)"

That is the faulty thinking. Airbnb has never been our business partner. They are an online booking platform, that's it. I certainly think they have far too much autonomous power and shouldn't be trying to micromanage us or our listings. Nor should they blah blah the rhetoric about community and caring and sharing, because that is total PR B.S.

But business partner? No way. Just as if you list things for sale on Ebay, Ebay isn't your business partner, they are just an online platform that one can use to advertise.