Level 2
Peacehaven, GB

Turning off electric

Can you turn off electric ,when guest refuses to leave?(2weeks stay)  in uk 

13 Replies 13
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Kaialiis0  I would prefer the police In case there might be revenge damage to the property .But if I had access to the electrics  I might and definitely WiFi. 
Are you in lockdown there and have you spoken to them? Hope you get sorted .

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Yes, call the police immediately @Kaialiis0 . Yes we are in lockdown, but I'm sure that does not give anyone the right to remain in a short-term rental they booked for 2 weeks. They do not have a rental agreement, just the Airbnb contract, which has now ended. And if the flat /studio is an annex to your own home, they would never have rights, no matter how long they stay. Please phone the police NOW!

-  Let us know what happens!

(I looked at your listing... It would help to get bookings if you gave a lot more details, like other hosts do, eg. Is the studio part of your own house, access, a bit about yourself...... Just a tip!)

Thanks for advice on listing i have just listed it and i havent really finiced it as im not sure do i wanna rent it or not because of horrible guest i had 7 months ago which made me stop doing airbnb for that time being .

Considering situation at the moment , i was just asking this theoretically as im bit scared to accept any bookings .

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kaialiis0 Have you reached out to Airbnb for assistance? They are now trespassing and overstay charges can be levied.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Kaialiis0 

Of course You can turn off electricity. Is that legal? Counterquestion: Is it legal not to check out?

They may threaten You to sue You but who cares. People have threatened me to sue me several times in my life, I've never heard of them again.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kaialiis0 

As we are in lockdown it might be reasonable to send them an extension of a week or two. If they don't agree to it (and pay) then I agree - call the police as they are trespassing.

Please let us know how you get on in case we ever have a similar problem.

Good luck

Kaialiis0
Level 2
Peacehaven, GB

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Helen350 @Ute42 @Ann783  @Ria16 

I’m actually just asking theoretically.

I havent been doing Airbnb for last 7months as I had bad experience with guest but I’m in need some money atm to pay my bills as I’m self employed and one of the loop holes in system .

Im just bit scared to accept any booking considering situation atm , dont wanna be a B***** also .

I read someones experience and it said police even didnt came out because of that .

@Kaialiis0 

Turning off electricity "theoretically" ist not good enough.

You have to turn it off in reality.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kaialiis0  Sadly now might not be the best time to restart your Airbnb listing! We have only had 1 booking in the last 30 days and don't expect many more I am afraid for some time

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kaialiis0  Sadly now might not be the best time to restart your Airbnb listing! We have only had 1 booking in the last 30 days and we don't expect many more I am afraid for some time

Thats what i thought , im just getting worried about my finance situation and are trying to give go for anything which would avoid me getting a another loan .

Helen350
Level 10

@Kaialiis0 It's illegal to travel without a good reason in the UK now. The police stop people & ask the purpose of  their journey, & can fine those without a valid explanation. 

Would you consider a longer term tenant who will be living there as their home or Mon-Fri home for work? In which case the 'Spare Room' site might be the place to advertise? I advertise there too, but have had ZERO   response since the Virus struck, for obvious reasons.

Helen350
Level 10

@Kaialiis0  The UK government has told accommodation providers - ALL types! - that we are to SHUT DOWN short-term rentals asap! The only exception is hosting key workers (health & social care)- maintaining the 2m social distancing rule. https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus  See 'businesses & other organisations' - go to 'How to close holiday accommodation to temporary residents' - which also means don't open new accommodation!