Two Questions Tipping and SF,CA city fees

Sion2
Level 10
SF, CA

Two Questions Tipping and SF,CA city fees

So anyone here educated in the ways to figure out exmeptions on San Francisco fees for running an airbnb private room. I am  a bit shocked that its at  14% per month hotel tax...there is a list of exemptions but they seem in greek to me. Prehaps a tax person in this area anyone can recommend? But this on top of state and federal taxes for one room seems insane....

I also want to know what the policy  is on tipping. Is it a okay thing to accept or ask for?  I do lot of extras like laundry etc would love to monitze some of my higher quality amenties maybe even sell meals....so I can pay all this new taxes;) 

3 Replies 3
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Yes taxation is high in San Francisco. Politicians love new revenue sources. Especially a small group whom they can vilify and tax. 

If you are clever, you can monetize extra services. It's hard work to make it palatable and seemingly value added. I think the easiest way is to make two listings - one bareboned, they other luxury.

As for tips, they are semi-rare. The "internet" claims that you should not tip your Airbnb host 😞

Airbnb  has an anti-tipping policy. (They say a personal note is the best tip!)

Airbnb's anti-tipping policy is the only reason I would ever seek a competitor.

Furthermore, Airbnb's anti-tipping policy and guests' unwillingness to tip is a reason I do not go above and beyond for the guests. I fufiill my commitment to them and nothing more.  It would be wasted effort.

Hi Everybody, I just found out after 2 busy holyday November and December, that Airbnb during booking process do not collect State Sales Tax, and when I specifically asked to add that options to the booking process of my incoming guests - i'v been told, that they can't do that yet, but i can ask my incoming guests to pay up Sales Tax as separate cash matter. Very frustrated with that smart suggestions to try to solicite extra pay money from the guests. Any ideas or suggestions.

Mark. Newark, NJ.