Two night minimum - guests requesting a change to one night after booking

Mel131
Level 4
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Two night minimum - guests requesting a change to one night after booking

Hi folks

I have a minimum 2 night stay on both my listings - mostly due to the huge amount of washing/ironing/cleaning that one night stays create!  A one night stay means I actually lose money and time!

I've had two requests in the past week (separate guests) that have booked two nights, then requested to change the booking to stay just one night.  I declined one and approved the other (shes a regular guest) but my question is why does the platform allow this to be requested?   This just puts the host at risk of a negative review for declining when they've listed their property as a two night minimum.

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Mel

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mel131 

it is allowed because Airbnb sides with guests and care about guests much more then about hosts.

Just decline and explain you have minimum 2 nights, they can stay 1 night but the price remains the same. We also had such requests and declined.

Did your guest end up just staying one night and eating the price of the 2nd night?  Did they leave you a bad review?  Were they a jerk during their stay?

Laura2270
Level 4
Lakewood, CO

I've also recently had 2 separate bookings that originally requested longer, then tried to update to 1-night.  One of them seemed to be very understanding and just kept the 2nd night because ABB would charge them more in cancel fees than the price of my room for the 2nd night.  The 2nd hasn't responded yet, but he's supposed to check in today.  I told him that I have a 2-night minimum (for the same reasons Mel mentioned, it's just a LOT of work with a string of one-night guests).

I also drive Lyft, and I average around $25/hr.  When I have to stay home for a room turnover, it takes about 3hrs when I could/should be out driving... so that's 3hrs that I'm not making money which is an opportunity cost of $75.  A one night stay is only about half of that even with my cleaning fee.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Mel131  This is a regular problem with us, over the last 18 months we have had a number of guests who have tried to reduce number of nights but I have never accepted the request. Bottom line,  just like you Mel,  it is not cost effective to do one night stands ! However I would also like to point out that we never have had any problems with guests simply because of our two or three night minimum stay policy is in effect. 

Regards Shaun

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Mel131  this happened to me few times I provide a min of 3 nights and some will book and come back to me and want to change for 2 nights i simply refuse and tell them my min is 3 if they wish to cancel they are welcome to. And many don't cancel and 1 had 1 who had the audacity after her stay to ask for a refund for 1 night again I deny.  She said ABB told her she could claim to me, i explain ABB new staff are not aware of their own rules. When I 1st start hosting I used to say yes because i never looked at the request but learn the way guests can trick you. Don't bend on ur min especially 1 night it is a nightmare washing all linen spending hours on cleaning unless is financially worth. 

Josef47
Level 4
Munich, Germany

One thing is clear : Airbnb always takes care more the guests interests than the host ones. That's where they get money from. Don't let you push into that Airbnb host stress - They will always send you messages that "people who look for your accommodation look for shorter periods  bla bla bla ...", Just set your minimum stay that you are comfortable with (preparing the rooms and being ready for new guests). Everything makes no sense and will make trouble for you and the guests. IMHO