UK Covid-19 Small Business Grant Fund

Ben205
Level 10
Crewkerne, United Kingdom

UK Covid-19 Small Business Grant Fund

Hi. Hoping somebody out there in the UK might be in the same situation and be able to give me some advice.

I have a property that is registered with my local authority as a business (non-domestic 'Self catering holiday unit and premises'). It's rateable value is below the threshold so I get Small Business Rate Relief. In effect, I pay no rates. Instead, all income is declared as 'earnings from property' on my HMRC self-assessment and I pay the appropriate rate of tax as determined by that assessment.

Am I eligible for the Small Business Grant Fund being offered by the government?

The fund appears to be a single amount of £10,000 regardless of size of business so long as they qualify for Small Business Rate Relief. This is way more than I have lost during the current lockdown, so would give away much of it. There doesn't appear to be a way to apply for a smaller amount.

Any advice very welcome - thanks!

11 Replies 11
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ben205 

I would give your local council  a call when they are back on Tuesday. They are best placed to advise you with this query.

Ben205
Level 10

@Helen3Thanks. You would think that's sensible, but our District Council is notorious for underperforming. It's not possible to speak to officers. They will not have the knowledge to deal with the complexity of this issue, unfortunately. If you want a laugh, have a look at the written English of their application response screen -

Ben205_0-1586697094183.png

You'd think it was one of those financial scam emails!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ben8 

I think you will be eligible for this grant. Most local authorities have an online form to fill out. Some (sadly not mine) are authorising the grant the next day.

Do be careful before you give the grant away. If things go badly you may have no guests for the rest of the year!

Ben205
Level 10

@Mike-And-Jane0  Thanks. I have applied. The local authority website suggests they will be ready to distribute money from next week. Interestingly, they say that only 600 of 3000 eligible businesses have contacted them so far.

You are right that I will need to consider how long this goes on. Our bookings tend to come about 4-5 weeks before the stay, so even if the lockdown was lifted tomorrow, I doubt we'd be seeing any income before the end of May.

Stay safe!

Ben205
Level 10

@Mike-And-Jane0Hi. Quick update. Turns out I was eligible for the grant and have already received the funding. I would recommend anybody who has a property registered as a business and is in receipt of Small Business Rate Relief applies to their local authority.

@Ben205 

Congratulations - Your council is WAY more efficient than ours who say there is a 4-6 week processing time!

Hi,

I've been told that my local council  (Gwynedd) is wairing for guidance from the Welsh government as to whether self catering accommodation are eligible for the grant. 

I'd be interested to hear if any fellow hosts have received the grant yet. 

Thanks 

Ian

Mark3248
Level 1
Blackpool, United Kingdom

Please can anyone with an Airbnb business tell me if they are eligible for the discretionary hospitality grant. We have not been able to get anything. Our mp  has told us about this grant and has asked me to see if any other Airbnb is eligible.  Were not apparently. Thanks Gillian 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark3248 ,

do you pay business rates and/or get small business rate relief?

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Mark3248 In England if your property is registered to pay business rates and you get full business rates relief (ratable value under £15,000 you should be eligible - If you pay business rates you also pay separately to have your bins emptied under a commercial waste contract). If you pay council tax on the property you won't be eligible.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

A week ago, the Small Business Grant Fund was made available to B&B's not registered as a business and paying only council tax. Definitely worth a look into. Our local MP Tim Faron of South Lakeland was instrumental in getting the change.