UK Nationwide Lockdown - Contacting Guests, Advising on Cancellation and So On...

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

UK Nationwide Lockdown - Contacting Guests, Advising on Cancellation and So On...

Evening Airbnber's,

In light of the Government's announcement this evening, how is everyone planning to communicate with their upcoming guests?

I would prefer, where possible and reasonable, to defer my guests travel to a later date, post lockdown. I have drafted the following as a first communication to encourage this, rather than rush to cancellation.

Following tonight's Government announcement regarding a further nationwide lockdown, effective as from Thursday 5 November, understandably you are now no longer able to travel to The Cottage as planned.

If you would like to defer your stay until a later, more convenient date, please let me know and I will happy to amend your reservation. 

As a small business, we appreciate your support during these difficult times and we look forward to welcoming you in the near future!

Would you agree or do you have any better suggestion(s)?

Thank you!

27 Replies 27

@Marit-Anne0

Yes, the warnings are visible to the guests but unfortunately, in many instances, Airbnb is choosing to ignore that fact when the guests come to cancel.

I had a guest book with me in early September, for a late November booking. He specifically asked me about my cancellation policy and I told him myself, on the message thread, that I've been hammered with cancellations this year and absolutely couldn't afford to take any more, so in the event of cancellation, I would have to stick to my strict cancellation policy. I also advised him that nobody could foresee how things were going to be in November and that it would probably be best for him to book a place with a flexible cancellation policy. He still went ahead and booked with me anyway.

Predictably, he ended up cancelling. Came back to me with the "Oh I know we discussed this, but we just thought we'd see if you'd change your mind" line. I said, "Sorry, no". Back and forth for a week.

In the end, call from Airbnb. One of the group suddenly has COVID. I asked the support agent to check the conversation with guest on my message thread, and the many ways he'd already tried to wrangle his full refund. Also asked her how Airbnb knew that the 'medical documentation' that guest had (allegedly) submitted even related to any member of the group, as I didn't have their names and I was sure, therefore, that Airbnb didn't either.

I was told that Airbnb would never question a guest's truthfulness and was treated to a lecture on how I should be more considerate of guests' needs, 'in the spirit of the Airbnb community' Guest - of course - got full refund. I got nothing. Case closed. 

Penelope
Julie3704
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

What I sent the point of setting your own cancellation policy then if they are going to over ride it? I was told it was up to me what I did when I asked about a guest wanting to cancel as they ‘thought Wales May go into a circuit break before it was announced. It’s not helpful when you get bookings from people whos address is England either when every different area can be in a different tier. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Super47 I only have one single experience as a guest with a cancellation under the extenuating circumstance clause when my husband very suddenly were rushed to hospital and the trip had to be postponed. I then had to supply a medical certificate which were first disputed with airbnb. When I asked what was wrong with the sertificate, they could not find fault. I had previously asked the host if he would refund if he were able to rerent and he said yes, but when nothing happened, I went the extenuating circumstance route just to test what it was all about and how it works as a guest. airbnb looked at the correspondance with the host and told me to reach out to the host first. Presumably, he had be able to rerent, but did not have the intention to fulfil his promise. When I sent a claim through the resolution center, he finally refunded the night less the airbnb fee.

I am  not at all a fan of the  EC policy. 

Charlotte821
Level 1
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve got someone booked from Monday to Thursday this week. Does he have to leave on a Wed now or can he stay until Thursday? So confused! 

@Charlotte821 in another recent post @Helen3 said this was the case under the first lockdown, those who had started their stay and booked before the announcement could stay beyond the lockdown date. If they want to is another matter.

Darren283
Level 2
Winsford, United Kingdom

So if I'm booked from Tuesday and leaving Thursday is this ok?? Is this not ok.?? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes it's okay @Darren283  if you started your stay before lock down you can complete it in England.

"Those currently on a domestic holiday will be allowed to finish their holidays, but are still subject to the requirements in England not to go out without a reasonable excuse," guidance states.

On the Thursday so must abide by the new lock down regulations in terms of going out etc.

Darren283
Level 2
Winsford, United Kingdom

@Helen3 where can I find this information please. But thanks you for proving this information

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It’s on the UK gov website @Darren283 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I was astonished to get an enquiry for this week from a woman who wanted a last minute break before lockdown.  By the evening she said she had reconsidered, and didn’t think it was right to travel.

In anticipation of airbnb shutting us down, I’ve done it myself

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I was even more astonished to get a request from a couple for 9 nights for the day AFTER lockdown! They mentioned the new legislation, so even more cheeky to ask!  - I replied that it was not allowed for leisure purposes, & they refused to tell me the purpose of their visit, just said they wouldn't book when I said 'no leisure trips'!

@Jane563 It IS still allowed to travel/stay overnight for work, so I'm keeping my listings open.November sees the balance shifting from tourists to workers anyway, in a normal year....

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I was wondering about that. However, I will not allow guests to use the kitchen at the present time.  Not sure if they will be happy with that as they can’t eat out.