URGENT - Guest Not Being Transparent of Number of Guests

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

URGENT - Guest Not Being Transparent of Number of Guests

I have guests coming on Thursday and the primary guest has been less than transparent (lying) about the number of guests.  I charge extra for guests. First she said she's going to have people coming in and out over the weekend, spending the night. When I told her I that I charge extra, she changed her story. I am not able to meet the guests nor can I stalked my house all weekend seeing how many different people go in and out. I called Airbnb and they said they would cancel her reservation but would not pay me. This is a big hit for me financially and IS NOT MY FAULT.  Here's the exhange:

Guest: Well my friend was going to stay in the basement and I was going to stay in the master. We may have other girlfriends rotating in and out of the house sleeping over a few nights. I’m originally from Philadelphia so I have many friends who live around and want to see me while I’m In town, and May sleep over too.

Me: your reservation is only for 2 guests. You’ll need to modify the reservation if more than 2 people are staying. How many people will be rotating in and out in total?

Guest:  I don’t have a certain amount bc it’s not for sure, I can change the reservation. But it’s definitely my friend and I every night. And I know 2 of my girlfriends wanted to see me often while I was home visiting. 

Me:  charge by the person after 3. You’ll need to include each person staying in the reservation. That’s at least 4. The house only accommodates 5.

Guest:  They all live in Philadelphia so no one needs to stay over night.

This all happened in 10 minutes.  

I responded with (I normaly wouldn't be so strict about people entering my home but I feel like I can't trust these guests:

Now that I'm on my computer and had a chance to review the messages here, I want to make sure everything is clear before your stay.

First you stated: "have other girlfriends rotating in and out of the house sleeping over a few nights". Then after I said there's a charge, you said they won't spend the night. I'm uncomfortable with this. Anyone entering my home is considered a guest whether they spend the night or not. There should be no outside guests who aren't part of the reservation. If you have yourself, Sally and Jill there and then the day yourself, Sally and, Nancy staying, thats 4 guests.

As I said in the listing, this is my home. My things are there. Airbnb is a community built on trust. Transparency is key.

Please let me know what your plans are.

6 Replies 6
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jennifer464 yes, you should get CS to cancel her... NO you will not get paid for her stay.

The cancellation policy no longer applies when you ask to enforce rules.

You aren't comfortable, she shouldn't stay in your house, that is you dodging a bullet, but no, you won't get any money. Hurry up and do it before it is within 24 hours of her checkin time, bc if you get to that time the she will also be allowed to review you

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jennifer464

it sounds like they are planning a party, no you don't need this, it could cost you much more then you will lose if you cancel.

You will probably be penalized with instant booking turned off for 3 weeks so the smart move would be to list your space on booking.com, vrbo etc... as well

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Jennifer464 Party alert!!! I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 [as usual]. This guest is planning a rager at your listing. Get rid of this booking ASAP.

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

Thanks everyone!  I asked Airbnb to cancel the reservation.  I wasn't penalized but I will lose money on the extended weekend because of these horrible guests.  Airbnb isn't even going to explain the rules to them so this will happen to someone else.  I have also turned off instant bookings. Thanks to @Branka-and-Silvia0 for mentioning VBRO and Booking.  I am going to look into them given the number of bad guests I am having with Airbnb now!

Jenn

@Jennifer464if you can get guests without instant booking option on Airbnb then great, but you have to be very careful who you accept because you will not have 3 free cancelation/year because you feel uncomfortable, this option is for instant bookings only.

I hate instant  book because of this and always meet my guests Or get someone to a few hours after arrival or next day to check on them 

Take away sheets towels pillows for extras if you are suss about how many people also 

had one like this just recently where a husband wife and twelve year old supposedly staying was like 6 big boys from a car club ! I walked straight in and called for the booking guest told him to pay the extra etc