US Hosts : Email update "Thank you: Congress passes legislation to help hosts"

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

US Hosts : Email update "Thank you: Congress passes legislation to help hosts"

Hi all

In case you haven't seen this, I received this email this morning. 

Congress passes legislation to help hosts. Learn how to apply for support.

"Hi Michelle,

Last week I asked you to join us in urging Congress to include the Airbnb host community in their efforts to provide emergency financial relief to workers and small businesses reeling from the economic impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. And you did.

I am glad to report that thanks to more than 100,000 emails sent by hosts like you, our voices were heard. We asked Congress to pass legislation to help and they have. Now, it’s time to take advantage of these critical programs with limited resources.

The final bill includes eligibility for Airbnb hosts who have been affected by COVID-19 to take advantage of relief measures, including:

• Small business grants and loans

• Unemployment assistance for those whose health or health of loved ones was impacted by COVID-19 and are not otherwise eligible for regular compensation or extended benefits

• Other opportunities such as mortgage and rent relief for eligible individuals, tax rebates, student loan relief, and retirement account flexibility

How to apply

Small business relief

Apply starting this Friday, April 3. Funding is limited so please apply as soon as possible.

Learn more

Unemployment assistance

Apply now to your state’s unemployment program.

Learn more

In all of these efforts, Airbnb will continue to advocate on your behalf. We’ll provide updates here on the implementation of these relief measures as new resources are released.

I am heartened by our community’s work to convey the significance of home sharing to our country’s leadership, and am hopeful for a near future when travel can once again serve to connect people to one another.

Sincerely,

Nate Blecharczyk

Co-Founder

Airbnb

Visit our new site to learn more about how we’re supporting our global community of hosts during this difficult time. From updating you on our cancellation policies to answering your top hosting questions, we’re here to help."

11 Replies 11
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL
Annette639
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

Airbnb  acted unprofessionally towards me and I do not trust Airbnb anymore.   They screwed me over one time to many, i will be telling friends  and all  about how Airbnb is not to be trusted

@Annette639  The links provided are not Airbnb links. One is the Small Business Administration, one is the US Department of Labor. 

@Annette639  Michelle has taken the time to post links to programs that may be of help to many. There are plenty of threads here on the forum where you can commiserate with others re your feelings about Airbnb.

@Annette639 

So many hosts Airbnb all over the world are angry and disgusted by Airbnb attitude!

Please sign the petition:  20 700 signatures

https://www.change.org/p/airbnb-airbnb-breach-of-contract-class-action-lawsuit-violate-cancellation-...

Monaco1
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Does this only apply to those with a LLC or can anyone with a 1099 (which is every host) apply as well?

@Monaco1     I don't have any answers on that for you - I just wanted to make the email with the links available to folks.  Some research is probably required. Maybe your tax preparer could be of help in determining which way you should go. 

Rachel697
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I received the same email and I was wondering if this was the email considered the "invite" to apply for the grant specifically. As you mentioned, the link is to the SBA page, but there isn't anything specifically for grants but mostly loans. I am under the impression this something anyone can apply for but they don't have any applications for grants, just loans.

Anyone else here have any other information?

@Rachel697  No, I don't believe this is the grant "invite". This is just about government programs available to Airbnb hosts.  

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

The program that most of the small businesses I have been talking to are applying for is the "Paycheck Protection Program".   Details at this link. 

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/coronavirus-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program-pp...

"The Paycheck Protection Program is a loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll.

SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities."

"This program is for any small business with less than 500 employees (including sole proprietorships, independent contractors and self-employed persons), private non-profit organization or 501(c)(19) veterans organizations affected by coronavirus/COVID-19."

Nina69
Level 5
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

Really?  I share my home and I pay a housekeeper a living wage to clean it.  I imagine that most hosts are similar seeing that is the airbnb mission statement and what it was founded on. If this is you, we DO NOT qualify for the Paycheck Protection Program as you have to have Documented payroll expenses.  We as homeowners do not pay rent either, we probably all pay mortgage interest and utlilites  but without documented payroll you can not get this loan