US TAX ISSUE for F1 Visa Student

Umar0
Level 1
Shah Alam, Malaysia

US TAX ISSUE for F1 Visa Student

Hello.

I hv been hosting for 6 months and I got my 1042-S tax form from Airbnb because I put my tax information (no SSN or tax payer ID) just name name address. Has anyone been in my situation or have any idea on what should i do? I dont want to be deported because of this. I really appreciate if anyone can help me.

Thank you.

10 Replies 10
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

So they withheld taxes as you dif not supply SSN or ITIN.

F1's are not work authorised usually and not at all for running a AirBnB operation, not sure ICE are going to come after you buy you need to sort out your tax issues.

David

What if F1 students have only rented their room for two weeks or less. According to IRS website, if you are reting your room for two weeks or less in a year, you don't need to file or report and taxpayer inofrmation.

I was also wondering if in such cases, airbnb will still send those hosts a tax form that can cause an issue for them.

I am at the same situation. I did not know earlier. Any idea on how to approach this without getting myself in trouble?

Umar,

Would you please let me know what happened with you. i am extremely worried.

My email is [email address removed]

Hey! Did you figure out the tax thing...i hosted for a month without realizing this could be a problem. Don't want to get into any trouble with ITS or ICE 

Hey Rany

have you figured out about your tax situation? 

Ming6
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Hi Umar,  

I have the same issue, and i dont know that until i realize now. Please let me know how you deal with it.

Thank you 

Leo59
Level 1
Houston, TX

UMAR How did you rectify the problem?

Jimmy50
Level 1
Taipei, Taiwan

Hello Umer,

I have the same concern now that if I can rent my room during summer vacation.

I'm wondering how did your deal with the tax issue with airbnb and how did it affect the F1 visa?

Thanks

[Personal Details]

Hi!

How  did you guys manage the tax issue. I rented my place for a month last year. And I am wondering if it will be a problem. Please guide me.