US Tax Issue for hosts having F1 visa

Çağdaş0
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

US Tax Issue for hosts having F1 visa

Hi,

I have F1 visa(student visa) which allows me to work part time only in the campus. I am already workin in the campus and I got SSN.

I was wondering if is it legal to host guests via airbnb and pay tax for this? Does it mean that I have income from outside the campus which is illegal for F1 visa holders?

Thank you
14 Replies 14
Elisabet2
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

I am looking at the same issue. Did you get any answer?

Passive income would be OK, if you owned a property and somebody else was managing it, cleaning it etc.

David

What if I didnt own the property but sub-lease my room?

You would need to be work authorised.

David

Thank you David. What if F1 students have only rented their room for two weeks or less. According to IRS website, if you are reting your room for two weeks or less in a year, you don't need to file or report and taxpayer inofrmation.

I was also wondering if in such cases, airbnb will still send those hosts a tax form that can cause an issue for them.

Hi,

Did you find out if this is legal?

Rany1
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

Hi!

Please let me know if you found any answers. I am in the same situation

Any updates? 

My friend is in the U.S on a work visa (0-1) and airbnb hosted for a few weeks. Airbnb sent a tax form and he submitted it to his accountant. Nothing happened and with such small income no taxes were due. 

Now I (0-2 visa holder) would like to rent my spare room in Santa Monica. I would always be present, which is legal in Santa Monica. SM requires that Airbnb hosts apply for a (free) business license to rent out a spare room even if the income is less than the rent.  Seems easy and fair, except now there's the issue that I would have a business license unrelated to my work visa employment. (Airbnb is a business even if I am making less income than my rent, there would be no profit). 

My 0-1 friend's field of work has nothing to do with Airbnb either but I wonder if I apply for a busines license, am I risking my 0-2 visa legalities?

Any one has any experience with this? Can't seem to find answers online. 

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi just want to follow up with you 

Yuki43
Level 2
Fort Collins, CO

I have the same situation, did anybody find out the answer?

O2 can get EAD , with EAD you would be OK.

David
Barış4
Level 1
Cambridge, MA

Hi, 

I'm under F1 visa and I was looking to host experience as a photographer. I'm partially allowed to work for now, is this legal if I host and get the payments internationally to the bank account in my own country?

THanks!

Hi 

I’m planning to be host for Airbnb.  But I’m on F1 visa but working full time on STEM OPT. Hosting Airbnb would completely out of my field of study. Will be illegal to be a host in my case ? 
note - I’m not going leave my full time job 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My understanding is that you can't run a business on an F1 visa @Reva50  but you would need to check your visa conditions.