Ulster County NY Collects Occupancy Tax

Kathryn51
Level 2
Ridgewood, NJ

Ulster County NY Collects Occupancy Tax

Can Airbnb faciliate this tax collection for Ulster County?  I see your do so for many other NY areas so hoping this is a slam dunk for you and can be listed separately from other charges.  Thank you.  

31 Replies 31
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Kathryn51,

This isn't Airbnb support. It's a forum where Airbnb members help each othe with advice from their own experience. It's not read by Airbnb.

You should contact Airbnb support to discuss the issue.

Type "contact airbnb" in the "Search the community" box on these forum pages where you posted your question. Scroll down a little in the list of suggestions that appears and click on the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide[UPDATED]" one. That lists phone numbers and ways to contact them via Twitter or Facebook.

Steve.

Thank you.  Also just wondering if anyone from Ulster County (NY) has worked this out with Airbnb yet. Thank you. 

thanks for posting this. Despite asking my accountant for six years, scouring Airbnb for info, and searching the NYS websites for information, I had never been successful in determining what to do about this since 2012 (what is the percentage etc.). It never dawned on me that it should be remitted to the county (admittedly maybe I should have have realized).

Strangely, I am attempting to respond o this thread and it keeps blocking my responses.

Hmmm, wondering if my reply will get to you. I host in Kerhonkson and am consulting with a lawyer on the matter of bed tax.

I don't see a legal way to collect the bed tax in Ulster county. Met with an attorney today and he seems to agree but put me in touch with an attorney who knows about these things.

Want in? contact ****

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines. To send a direct message here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Does anyone know were I can find hosts, I have a Cleaning Business and serve Dutchess, and Ulster Counties. I am looking for new houses,Air BnB rentals to clean please call Benny*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message'] do alot more then regular cleaning companies. thank you in advance.

Hi Kathryn

I host in Ulster county and have been in conversation with the Finance guy, Burt Gulnick who sent the threatening letters regarding the bed tax. I am in the process of searching out a class action attorney. We think we have a case. At this time Ulster county has no plan to go into an agreement with airbnb to collect the tax. Three counties around us have made the agreement. Many of us are refusing to pay the tax until it is collected properly, ie: by Airbnb!

email me at *email hidden for privacy* if you want to added to the list of hosts who are joining me to get this worked out.

Sondra

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

we would like to be part of it...but cant send you our email here so not sure how we can communicate?

Hi Sondra,

I just opened my airbnb this week. I also have an antique and fine art site on Ruby Lane. Very few of my sales are in NYS so I report yearly. I’m putting this new venture under my antique tax name but I suspect that I will need to report more often. I don’t know if the bnb is taxed the same way. Please add me to your list of hosts in this effort to get something done. My email is *sensitive information removed* Please keep me posted.

Regards,

Mary Hallock

Stephanie758
Level 1
New Paltz, NY

thanks for posting this. Despite asking my accountant for six years, scouring Airbnb for info, and searching the NYS websites for information, I had never been successful in determining what to do about this since 2012 (what is the percentage etc.). It never dawned on me that it should be remitted to the county (admittedly maybe I should have have realized).  I am of course happy to comply going forward, but it's problematic if they expect us to go back.  Do any hosts know if we are being made to pay the taxes since whenever we began renting or just from the date when the lawsuit was finalized that indeed Airbnb's are falling under the category of "hotel," which is very recently.  Plus there is the fact that technically the host is not suppoed to pay the taxes out of their own income, which has technically already been taxed through income tax.  The guests are supposed to pay it. ... Thanks to anyone for any help!

Hi Stephanie.  I host in Woodstock and got a formal letter from Ulster cty re occupancy tax. I see Airbnb is collecting and remitting this tax in many counties including Dutchess.  I am waiting a bit to see if Airbnb and Ulster Cty can get it together.  I don’t know if it’s retroactive and I have not been collecting 2%.  Hope it sorts itself out in our favor meaning Airbnb will charge renters and file with county

I host in Kerhonkson and am consulting an attorney in this matter.

Contact me at:

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons – in line with the Community Center Guidelines. To send a direct message here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

Hi Stephanie,

I have been working on this since August when we received the first letter demanding the tax. I have a ton of info to share. Note that Airbnb has not 'outed' us to Ulster county. They refused. So the county has no idea of your start date. You can email me at *personal information hidden* and I will add you to the group. We are searching for a class action attorney to address the situation of the county threatening us with monetary fines and legal action for refusing to break the county law pertaining to how the tax must be collected.

Feel free to email, or call me *personal information hidden*

Sondra

host in Kerhonkson

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']