Un rated guests - how do you decide?

Toni3311
Level 2
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Un rated guests - how do you decide?

check-in.jpg

Image added by Community Manager

Hi there everyone - new to hosting and wondering what rule of thumb you use to assess if to host people who just joined Airbnb, have no rating and no info.?

38 Replies 38
Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I agree, some guests we have accepted with no reviews have been incredible but I always go over our expectations so there are no misunderstandings.

Very true @Andrea-and-Francis0  but the same can also be said for experienced guests. So I always try to set expectations from the beginning and much more I take their reviews with a pinch a salt! Mainly it is best to go by communication style, limited expectations and remember some people will simply just not be your people, which is also fine! 🙂

Lindsey221
Level 1
Perth, Australia

I am in the position of my first request . They have no rating new to Abnb this year no photo and have asked for the address . They have requested a month long stay and I am feeling a little apprehensive . Is there something you can request from them before accepting the booking ? 

@Lindsey221  I wouldn't accept a one month stay as a new host from a guest who has no review history. That they asked for the address, before having a reservation confirmed is also not a good look. 

If I were you, I'd change the settings to a one week stay max, until you get experienced with how the platform works (there are a lot of thngs to learn) and knowing how to vet guests.

I make decisions mostly based upon how a guest communicates. If they send a friendly, articulate message along with their request, letting you know something about them, saying something nice about your property, and addressing you by name, those are all good signs. If they just ask questions, and tell you nothing that would make you feel that they are people you'd like and trust, then either answer asking for more info, or decline them. 

An example of a nice guest request would be "Hi Sarah, I just found your listing and your place looks lovely and just what I'm looking for. I'm a woman travelling alone and am coming to take sailing lessons, so I'll be out most of every day, and will be renting a car. Look forward to meeting you and let me know if you'd like me to bring you anything smallish that you can't get in Mexico."

I have zero qualms about a guest who sends a message like that(and I get a lot of those nice messages), has a clear profile photo, and has written something personable on their account profile. And if they have some review history, that's bonus, but I wouldn't feel the need for it with a message like that.

Guests do sometimes want to know the address, as they want to know if it will be nearby the places they want to go. But don't ever give it to them beforehand- just tell them that addresses aren't given out until after a booking is confirmed, according to Airbnb policy. Let them know the cross streets, if you like, and what places it is near, how close the nearest grocery store, etc, are, so they can decide if it's suitable location for them.

You say the guest has no photo, but you can't actually see their photo until their reservation is confirmed- it is hidden. But in your reply, let them know that you require a face photo, as well as verified ID, if you see they only have a phone number and email address uploaded.

And you do understand the difference betwen an Inquiry and a Booking Request?

Thanks Sarah . I will reduce the length of stay . I did ask them for Further ID but have heard nothing back so think I will pass 

I believe you can not request anything you do not request from other guests... I would think maybe an increased security deposit, not sure what else you would or could request.

I feel that if you can get a conversation going you will be able to find out a lot more about them and you may feel less apprehensive. If they are short with their answers and like someone else said "local" I would be more cautious... but my best advice is to always go with your gut, unless you are normally apprehensive about everything in that case...

Never give them your address. You can always give them a general area (they can see this from the location on the map as well) or nearby (but not too nearby) cross streets. Guests will see the address in their confirmation so you don't even need to give confirmed guests the address bc they should have it right in front of them. Profile pics are now masked by default until after a reservation has been confirmed (minimizes ability for racial profiling).

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Lindsey221  if you are new to hosting and listing never been used for short let do not accept a long booking. Set to a max of 4 or 5 days.  So if anything goes wrong u have time to fix it before the next guests.

The 1st guest booking sometime leads to more trouble especially if longer booking, with a heavy discount. Some guests end up using Air cond 24h, washing machine on daily bases/dryer even if warm outside.

My advice to any new host don't accept long booking till u get familiar with vetting and know how to deal with guests. As sometimes u end up losing more money than earning it if ur month stay guests turn to be hotel type guests.

Check ur listing to make sure you don't have any crazy discount in place

Lindsey221
Level 1
Perth, Australia

Good advice . Thank you Marie 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Toni3311 @Lindsey221 & welcome to ABB CC from across the ocean in Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand.

All the suggestions above are very useful to put into practice.

Whilst I offer longer term accommodation, there's all manner of reasons why someone may require longer than a few days, including courses, I've included in my listing mention that anyone requiring stays longer than 7-10 days they must send an " Enquiry" so we can both be comfortable for that length of time in one's home.

Have a look at my listing If you like how I've worded it, have only had 2 males who failed to abide by my requirements and both checked out early & had "challenges".

Do bear in mind you could say to longer term requests you are prepared to give a 2 wk trial to see if it works out & you can "modify" the leng of stay.

Any bookings 28 days or more are considered long term accommodation.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Auckland , NZ

Toni3311
Level 2

THANKS so much Helen, great suggestions  I appreciate the care   toni

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Make sure you are not using instant book or you will have no say in who comes to your airbnb. 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Toni3311   For some reason this fall I've been getting a ton of new airbnb guests with no ratings and I'm their first host. I was also a little hesitant, especially since most of these people do not even have a photo of themselves..but thankfully so far all the new people have been great! 

I've noticed profile pics are now masked by default but will be show upon confirmed reservation. At that point, you can ask for a profile pic if they don't have a "real" photo of themselves. And you can contact Airbnb customer support if you still don't feel comfortable with hosting them.

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Toni3311
Level 2

That is good to hear Kaylee. I have Canadians staying in mine at the moment!  🙂