Unable to request reference

Vinni0
Level 2
Gurgaon, India

Unable to request reference

I am unable to request references from people. The page of request reference doesn't show any link. Please help.

43 Replies 43

I am too, please let me know when this is fixed.

Rose123
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi guys! I'm having the same problem and it's a little time pertinent as I have a guest lined up who really wants to do a very positive reference after their stay... please let me know when it's fixed!

I can confirm this is still happening August 20th.   It seems Airbnb has fallen over and can't get up. Maybe it needs a Medic Alert bracelet.

Warren69
Level 1
Armstrong, Canada

Support just told me this feature is going away.  Sunsetting.

Melody76
Level 1
Thanh Hoa, Vietnam

Same problems

Barbara1210
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Same problem. Trying to leave a reference for a new member. He cannot request, I cannot leave reference.

Larry162
Level 1
Cranberry Township, PA

Same issue. Feature is going away? Some update is really needed here!

Tamara81
Level 2
Portland, OR

SO, I just got off the phone with two different helpline people on ABB, the first told me references were still a thing, and hosts were still able to require them as part of their requirements (which we have asked of new travelers for years) 

I was not seeing the "request references" tab on the references section... and I called back again.

the second helpline person wasn't sure, and put me on hold to ask a supervisor. he was told the references are being phased out and will soon no longer be a thing. Existing references are in place, but no new users will be able to ask for them. THe request references tab has been removed, and soon so will all our personal references (which is not the same thing as a rental review).

HOSTS: if you go to booking settings under your listing, there is no longer an option to require a personal reference. 

TRAVELLERS: if a host tells you you will be declined because you don't have a reference and asks you to get one, tell them they are discontinued and refer them to the ABB hotline to confirm the fact that they are being phased out. they will probably thank you for the info!

So far airbnb has not notified hosts to let them know this is being phased out, so I'm sure there are still tons of people who still have this as a rental requirement.

Fabienne241
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Same problem for me!

Thomas2350
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Here it is 2021 and this four year old thread is still relevant. Still tons of AB&B blogs and website links out there (e.g. http://ciesla.com/2016/01/11/airbnb-tutorial-references/) telling you how to request references, and no information anywhere (other than here) telling you that it actually doesn't work. "It's all about building trust", huh?

What's truly hilarious is that if you are a new user (like me), immediately after creating your account, you get a notification from AB&B urging you to "Get references from friends", so that hosts won't reject you!

@Thomas2350  The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

And I fail to see the point of references from friends- what, your friends aren't going to say you're a great guy? Of course they are. Even if you're not.  References from employers or past landlords, sure, that's why landlords ask for those when doing long term leases with tenants.

I wouldn't reject you, Tom. My attitude is that all users, be they hosts or guests, started out with no reviews. Obviously. So everyone needs that first chance. When I see that a new guest has taken a few minutes to fill out some profile info, doesn't have a photo of a plate of lasagna as their profile photo, and has the ability to send a nice, articulate, informative message to the host when asking to book, I have no qualms about accepting them. 

Never had  a bad guest yet. Quite the opposite.

Thomas2350
Level 2
San Jose, CA

Thanks, @Sarah977! I think there is some sense to the references system, in that (I assume) hosts can see the reviews of the person making the reference.  In my case, it would be my wife, and she'd be saying "he's been my guest on all of the visits in my history", which seems like it would build confidence. Who knows! I'm really not annoyed that the system doesn't work - I'm annoyed that ABB is still telling new users to go out and get references, when they actually can't.

Hi @Thomas2350 

Welcome to the community 😊

You’re right. 

Airbnb encourages the new user to get reference is annoying and impatient.

Well, Airbnb is an online platform that connects hosts renting out space in their homes with clients seeking lodging for cheaper prices than a hotel. Getting reference and promote the site is essential and is

typically online booking system.

Happy Hosting ✌️