Unauthorized additional guests

Kim307
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Unauthorized additional guests

Hello

I have had a few bookings now (I am relatively new at hosting) where a guest books for 1 person, however, usually arrives as a couple.

one guest would sneak ladies in overnight, and they would leave early in the morning.

how do some other hosts deal with this situation.

Due to our unit being a 2 bedroom, the second room is often utilized and left filthy - we have begun locking it.

i currently have this situation, where 1 person was booked, but it’s a couple.

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Kim307 You can request the money for the other person or you can refuse to host. Then Airbnb will cancel the booking with a loss for the guest.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I would just make the standard nightly fee for two. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

I recently had a guest sneak an additional person into my home. I allow up to two guests for one price - they snuck in a third. 

So so I purchased a security camera and have it declared in my listing, directed at the parking/entry area. I then added an "additional person beyond 2 guests" charge of $300 per person. 

Should anyone else else sneak in addditonal guests, I will send a request for $300 and a screen capture of their extra person. 

I am new on airbnb, how can you do that?

Jessie57
Level 3
Sparks, NV

I have had the same issue with a previous and now current guest. When I politely asked the guest to add the second person to the reservation because we saw a second person and have heard two people in the area they got very defesive and basically called us crazy. They asked if they could bring the second guest before they arrived and I said no problem just please include them in the reservation for safety and security reasons I need to know who is staying in my home as we live in the attached home. They turned around and said the second guest was not coming after all. The funny thing is I dont charge for a second guest currently so there is no reason to hide a second guest unless they are hiding this guest from someone else like maybe a spouse. I am very cautious because I have children here. I just ordered an outdoor security camera system and updated my listing that an unauthorized guest may result in reservation cancellation and negative feedback. I hope this helps to cut down on this issue. I wish there was a way to charge a fee for unauthorized guests so I dont have to penalize a second guest that is added correctly.

Denise415
Level 2
New Hampshire, United States

Hi I have had this issue in the past as well. Although I do not live at the home that I rent so no worry on safety of myself or my children but I do charge a small additional fee per night for each guest over my base nightly price of 2 people.  This is one of the reasons I have a security camera outside my home  that I disclose on my listing as required  by Air BNB. But still they will try to sneak extras in. One wouldn’t respond to my messages or calls after I saw they had 5 in their party. My home only sleeps 4 at max. She responded on her check out day but agreed to pay the extra $50 for the extra guest after being contacted by Air BNB directly. Some I think honestly don’t read by house rules or booking rules/ or listing completely so they aren’t aware of the limitations. Regardless I used to worry I would get bad reviews if I requested the extra money due but now I am just up front and tell them I am aware there are extras in their group as soon as I know and if they will agree to pay the money due to me there is no issue. Most guests have been agreeable to this.  I also state in my listing that I am willing to work with my guests if plans change and they want to bring more people with them last minute but if they bring unauthorized guests without my knowledge I will cancel their reservation immediately and they will be asked to the leave the home. I think you are doing everything you can and with the camera you will have proof so if necessary it can be shared with Air BNB. Just be sure to add it to your listing as Air BNB requires. Also you may want to look in to adding an additional guest fee over 2 people. I only charge $25 more per night per guest over the 2 included in my nightly price. It hasn’t decreased my bookings. Good luck.

Michelle2207
Level 1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

We had the same issues as we have self check in. We added locks to the other bedrooms and when people booked for one we would ask them just to make sure it was only one person. We also politely reminded them of the policy on extra people and generally everything has been fine since then. A lot of people don’t understand the platform as well as we do so we just take it as an opportunity to educate the new or infrequent users on the normal expectations. 

I am currently in the same situation, this is a guest that stayed in June and re-booked again in August.  I'm thinking if I request additional funds @ $35/night - I did see the 3rd person entering the unit late at night.  I do have security cams, though I am not sure it captured the 3rd person.  When they leave today at 11am, I am going to see what kind of condition the unit is left in to either let them know I will be charging them an additional fee, or just letting it go as this is the first guest in 2 1/2 years to sneak a 3rd person in.  I am on-site, and they know this, so not sure if they are aware sneaking in an additional person is not okay.  I based my additional fee on what a hotel would charge.  The other concern I have is that they will provide a bad review out of being upset.  One thing I do know is it is probably best to wait until they leave to respond, I do not want them to damage my unit.  I am curious as to how other hosts would manage this situation.  I have a 400 sq. ft. cottage with a sofa sleeper, there is only 1 bedroom.  I am assuming the 3rd person slept on the couch.