Uncomfortable (sexually loaded) situation with male guests: report to AirBnB?

Claire446
Level 3
Portland, OR

Uncomfortable (sexually loaded) situation with male guests: report to AirBnB?

This past week I rented my home to a group of guys. I'm a woman in my 30s. The guy who booked never responded to any of my messages before, during, or after his stay. Total silence despite my repeated attempts to contact him. The home is self-check-in, and he left the house in good condition. However, almost immediately after confirming the booking a few weeks ago, I started getting messages from a male friend of his. The guy who booked had given my number to the friend apparently, and the friend repeatedly messaged me, pressuring me to provide listings for strip clubs in the area. He also noted that his friend is an "ass man". I repeatedly told him to look them up on Yelp, but he insisted three times that I send them to his friend.

Eventually I sent some listings from Yelp, but only because I was afraid they might leave me a bad review if I refused. Needless to say this made me very uncomfortable, even more so because the neighbor who manages my house when I'm away is a single woman as well. 

In my review I noted that they left the house clean but were not communicative, and I noted that I was uncomfortable with being pressured to provide listings for nearby strip clubs. I also added a note to AirBnB (in that field that shows up after the review), detailing the situation. I assume AirBnB actually reads those? Should I send a message to AirBnB directly about the situation?

20 Replies 20

You bring up a good reminder do ~NOT~ communicate outside of Airbnb; all on record.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Claire446  Reading your posts I formed an image of you as a non-confrontational perhaps a bit shy woman.  Then I read your profile and your listing and changed my image.  As an adjunct professor I would imagine you have to manage all sorts of inappropriate behavior, right?  Then in your description you state very clear expectations about parties - Party Squasher!  Love it!  Anyway, perhaps the creepiness of the request triggered something and you were a bit intimidated.  Air BNB recommends communicate through the system.  The "friend" should not be contacting you at all, period.  The communication should be through the Air BNB messaging system so any weird stuff is captured for Air BNB "eyes".  Just block the phone of the "friend" and send a message to the booking guest that all message should come through the Air BNB system.  

Yes the repeated "requests" were creepy but unfortunatelyyour response actually enabled the creepiness.  So now you can make sure that the review reflects the "communication and boundary issues".  Since the messages were not with the booking guest and you ultimately sent the lists, I don't think there is much Air BNB can do.  However, I think you have had a great learning experience.  

Aye Linda, never even 'go there'. The world is full of pushy, audacious hustlers - be on guard.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not text, well unless I really have to, same with twitter.

Sounds like we do not even know who this person is, or being picky what gender he or she is, just a weird set of texts.

I would have deleted and moved on.

David

David, I think I will also be skipping Twitter this 'go around'. Maybe next lifetime.

I believe that most of the comments directed towards the OP are totally inappropriate. The concerns that she expressed are very real and would be a serious concern for anyone in her situation. 

There are two kinds of hosts - separate unit, and shared accommodation hosts. Separate units are more autonomous. Shared accommodations are much more intimate. We are sharing our home. And to protect ourselves and other guests, we have to be extremely sensitive.

if a prospective guest asks a female host about strip joints, it is not a matter of her personality coping with his requirements.

It's about a rude man being vulgar.  It's the kind of conversation I'd expect from a man negotiating with a madam.

This isn't hosting. It's dealing with a boor.

Airbnb sees all hosts as equals. They would. Only one senior executive and none of the board are female. They do not protect vulnerable hosts.

They are booking brokers. Realistically, San Francisco can't fix what's going on in Boise, Idaho or Esteban, Alberta.

Hosts are the gatekeepers. The police are the protection. Airbnb is a brand. And jerks can wreak havoc, and still post a review. Even if Airbnb case management can prove it.

After a year long run as a SH, I've had 3 incidents in 4 weeks that required both Air and police intervention, including sexual harassment. These incidents would not have happened to a male or couple hosting.

The police told me flat out to stop doing this. They are now dealing with violence every week on Airbnb, and my city is only half a million people.

My friends, co host and partner are all worried for me. i s++t you not.