Uneasy

Uneasy

We had a guest who unexpectedly left a substantial quantity of medical waste in our suite. When we asked about it, he said "everyone is fine, there was some routine surgery and some dressings needed to be changed but all is well."

Well, okay but the thing is, this guest booked for two and arrived alone. They used two bedrooms, when we had prepared for one double bedroom, which is fine but the bed in the second bedroom wasn't made up and they opened the armoir with extra sheets in it but didn't use them.

There was also the fact that he really was very keen on absolute privacy. No problem, we are happy to oblige and he was very nice but he also used a pseudonym and although I don't think he thinks we noticed, he evaded all of our questions. He did so in a friendly and polite way but still - the medical waste really made me uneasy though. When we first started doing Airbnb I remember hearing about someone who had been booked as a kind of convalescent facility and so we were very clear that we were not meant for that sort of thing but we loosened up and removed that part of the description and now I am wondering if we should have kept it. 

I'm not trying to be unkind but there's just something strange about this whole experience and I'm not sure how to handle it. He's a nice man, we had no problem with payment or noise or anything else, he was friendly and charming but there are these wads of used bandages, gauze, and very heavy duty wound dressings left in the suite and combined with the other stuff - trying to hide his identity, blurring all the details of his trip, keeping his guest out of sight, it makes me wonder if I shouldn't be telling someone about this experience. It's a mystery. Any ideas?

He was a very nice guest, I feel guilty about feeling this way but I really can't shake it. I've never had a guest behave this way before. I think maybe he would have been better off in a hotel - it was like he didn't want anyone to know what he was doing there.

2 Replies 2

Put in his review.  Sounds strange to me as well. 

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello Stephanie and Steve -

Sound like one of the western movies my husband likes to watch on TV😄

But on the serious side I wouldn't have liked that at all because medical waste is supposed to be handled in a special way and gotten rid of in a special way as well (bio-wasted). For the guest to just leave it in the room for you to get rid of is also extremely disrepectful. I amagine you have open your home to lodgers and not the walking wounded. I wouldn't mind if someone were to recuperate at my home, but not unless it was fully disclosed so I would know how to protect myself and others of possible harmful health risks. You should definitely put it in your review.