Unexpected pet arrival...

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Unexpected pet arrival...

One of our pets says "pets allowed,"  but notes that we need to be asked in advance and that,  due to a recent experience,  we wish to be careful.  We alao expect to be told in advance,  via at least the selection of an animal.

Guest arriving late tomorrow is not a native English speaker,  one positive review,  but have lived in the US for a while;  has just dropped that he's bringing a 4-month-old Great Pyrennes.   Our guest in the other room is not aware (we like to make everyone aware of pets).

I suspect that it was an honest mistake-- in fact,  am almost certain it was,  having just listened to the guy on voicemail...  but....   Any particular tips,  comments,  takes,  kibbitzes?

8 Replies 8
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Kenneth12 Do not allow guests to bring their pets even if you do have pets that will make things much more easier. Good luck!!!

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Consiering your reservations about having pets I would remove the option from my listing. You can always add it in the rules, which people don't read, but I wouldn't keep it as an amenity. It may have been an oversight on the guest part, but surely he knew he was bringing a dog when he booked the reservation. Dogs just don't appear. It may behoove you to ask next time when a guest books.

Removed,  thanks.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Since you're listed as "pets allowed" and it sounds like an honest oversight, I'd allow it - especially if your other guest is okay with it.

You might consider marking pets as a "limited amenity" - that you'll consider them, but must be arranged BEFORE booking. As is, there's some conflict between the listed features and how available they actually are.

In this case,  the guy is bringing the dog for medical care in Nashville,  and hasn't fully mastered English.  As long as it doesn't cause a problem,  we'll allow it,  looks to have been an honest mistake.

Is there any other mechanism to offer a "limited amenity" other than listing it in the description?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kenneth12   While I like to travel with my dog and appreciate hosts that allow dogs, as a host, I do not allow other animals in my shared home listing.  Frankly, I don't trust other pet owners to be in control of their pets or to be honest about their pet's behavior or have the same pet behavior expectations that I have.  Since you share your home with more than one party of guests, I wonder what the impact is on the other guests to allow animals that you do not have control over to be part of the environment.  Apparently you have not had negative experiences with allowing pets and perhaps you see allowing pets as a marketing advantage.  Just might be...

I removed the option from our listings;  it was a holdover on our listings,  from when we were hosting a lot of rescue pets in Nashville.  In this case,  the guy is bringing the dog for medical care in Nashville,  and hasn't fully mastered English.  As long as it doesn't cause a problem,  we'll allow it.  Thanks.

Tim669
Level 2
Bonita Springs, FL

Ken,

Frustrated I had a guest show up with a 10 year old Cat getting radiation in our town.  Guest agreed to my house rules small dogs permitted $15 a night when he booked

Never mentioned a cat, or sick..... I told him I would let him stay if he kenneled the cat and agreed on AIRBNB thread that if his sick cat did any damage to my property he would be responsible. He refused

I had AIRBNB find him another location and he gave me 1 star.....

I gave the guest an option I needed to protect my property and I'm penalized even though it was in my house rules and I gave him an option.

Airbnb refused to drop the review They say if you say pet friendly you have to accept pets including pot belly pigs, snakes, birds, mini horse etc...

AIRBNB needs to protect us hosts it needs more definition

Thanks for hearing me out

Airbnb needs to make guest acknowledge that they are bringing a pet. In this case I'm allergic to cats that is why I don't want them in my home.  

It was his 1st AIRBNB experience I took him on as I will consider in most cases for both of our benefit