Unfair review from host without any particular reason

Naftali2
Level 2
Heilbronn, DE

Unfair review from host without any particular reason

Hello community!

Last week five of my friends and I went to Slovakia to spend 4 days together playing poker and grill.

The host left me the following review. "worst guest ever..."

My review is more detailed and fair: "The apartments are simply amazing, unlike typical apartments that can be rented on Airbnb. It seems that the owners themselves periodically live here, because everything is very thought out and beautifully furnished. The price is very low, especially for apartments in the mountains, with a sauna, a jacuzzi, a fireplace, a large grill in the yard, as well as good beds and so many rooms. These apartments deserve 5 stars, unfortunately I have to give 4 stars (maybe even 3 stars), but only because on the second day of our stay a pipe with hot water burst and the electricity on the lower floor turned off. Thank God no one was injured, and we ourselves could shut off the water otherwise the apartment would be flooded. Also, thanks to the quick reaction of the owner, an electrician came on the same day, but unfortunately could not fix the wiring. The next day, a more experienced electrician came and repaired the wiring from morning to lunch, which slightly spoiled the atmosphere of relaxation. The owner several times in the conversation tried to accuse us of breaking the pipe, which was unpleasant and also made no sense, but in the end he admitted that maybe this was just an accident. On the last day, the owner showed us that a piece of ceramic tile near the grill fell off and subtracted $50 from the deposit. I personally checked on the evening of the last day if everything was in the same condition as on the day of our arrival and the tile was intact. The owner pointed out that perhaps because of alcohol we don’t remember what we did, it offended me very much, because during the 4 days of our stay we never got drunk, although perhaps we should get drunk taking into account all the incidents. Personally, I think that in the evening due to heating the grill and then cooling at night, the glue dried out and the tile fell. If we are really to blame for this, then the owner of the apartment is right, and I am very sorry that this happened. P.S. If the apartments were not so amazing and cheap, I would give 3 stars because of the injuries that we could get due to a rupture of a hot water pipe, a lack of electricity for a day and a half and unreasonable accusations."

I really tried to be nice, giving him 4 stars even with all these incidents. But this host just does not care to be honest and nice.

I do not often use Airbnb and therefore I only have 4 reviews. 3 excellent and 1 from this host, does this somehow affect my chance to rent apartments? Or one unfai review will not ruin my travels in the future?

Thanks for answers in advance!

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Naftali2 

Naftali, I don't think you have a lot to be worried about. Your three other reviews are beautiful, they give you a glowing report. To be honest I think the review by this host (who cannot even get his spelling correct) says more about him than it says about you!

To put this in perspective, as a host, I would love to have you stay as a guest, but after seeing that review of his about you, I would not want to book that hosts listing as a guest!

The host can't help bad luck.....but 'bad luck' is no reason to take it out on the guest! You didn't create the problems in his listing and if he is going to penalise you for his issues, he is not the sort of host I would ever want to have anything to do with!

Sorry Naftali, all I can say is, better luck next time!

Cheers.......Rob

Thank you very much for your reply. I am pleased to hear that!

P.S. I hope Australia will recover quickly after all these terrible wild fires. This is a beautiful country, since people like you, Sir, live in it. We are praying for you.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Rude host. I don't appreciate how the host tried to say that maybe you guys "drank too much"? What kind of host makes comments like that to their "guest". Guests should be treated with care and concern and given privacy.

If a tile fell off the wall, that should be normal wear and tear and a guest shouldn't be charged for that. Stuff happens.

As for a pipe bursting, I don't think it's fair to admonish a host for that; they can't prevent emergencies from happening.

You should do what a guest did to me when I had a pipe burst (the pipe burst in a different bedroom than the one he was staying in) the final hour and half before they left-he demanded a FULL refund from Airbnb and received it! Talk about kicking someone when they are down!

So I had to clean up this dude's pubes and let him stay for free based on an emergency that happened in the final hour and a half on his last day of a three day stay.