Unhygienic guest

Jools5
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Unhygienic guest

Wanted advice/opinions. Have a guest that is quite unhygienic. The smell of urine on their clothes is very apparant. The room is smelling of urine also and I have politely asked them to open windows. I have said they are free to use the washer but they have not taken the hint. I am afraid they are having accidents in the room and this will result in me having to buy new bedding/mattress.

I am unsure what to do as ideally I want to tell them to wash their clothes and ask to see inside of the room oput mind at rest.

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a difficult one. What were their previous reviews like?

If they are staying for a longer period, I would have a chat with them. If it's a short stay then probably not. 

Presumably you have a mattress protector so you will not have to replace the mattress.

You can't go inside their room or tell them to wash their clothes. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jools5  That's really difficult, presumably this person hasn't admitted to themselves that they have some physical limitations. 

Unless the stay is almost over, I would tell them you plan to do a linen change, and schedule it at a convenient time, at least this way you can ascertain the state of things, launder what is in there and put in a set of cheaper sheets, maybe a 2nd mattress protector also.

If it's only another day or so, I would say, there isn't much you can do.  You don't want to get into the guest's medical issues or embarrass them. Very tough.

Jools5
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

To put a line under this. The guest checked out and unfortunately I had to replace the mattress.

I told AirBNB about this and sent a shot of the receipt. The customer was contacted by AirBNB and I received the cash for this within a few days. Whether the cusotmer paid themselves or it was transferred from an AirBNB fund, I'm not sure.

@Jools5   Glad you got paid. Now make sure to put a waterproof cover on that new mattress, with a 2nd, cushy mattress protector on top of that, so you won't have to go through this again.