Uninvited Guest

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

Uninvited Guest

A family of 3 (mom, dad & son)  are renting a couple of bedrooms in my home while they help their daughter settle into her first year and university.   Last night, the daughter spent  her the first night in her dorm with the family -- as scheduled--- stayed with me.   They brought the daughter over to visit and the mother announced that she is going to be spending the evening her as well.   She didn't ask, she just stated this.   I charge a flat rate for one person and an additional fee for each guest.   The mother neither asked nor offered to pay extra and, I felt like a "deer in the headlights" and said *nothing*. 

I didn't say anything because (1) I feel I'm earning a very good nightly rate ---which is in keeping with what I offer and what I have invested , (2) am loathe to create 'bad energy' for the remainder of the stay in my home (2 more nights) and, (3) have worked very hard now and in the past to receive very positive reviews.  I really go out of my way to be helpful and make my guests feel welcome.

Any and all advice or direction would be most welcome.   At the very least, I'm able to air my frustration with 'someone'.   Thank you for listening!!!!

39 Replies 39
Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

You know someone needs to cut the umbilical cord here. The time before and after term starts is about getting to know your fellow students. 

Unfortunatley, I'm neither  licensed nor qualified to perform this delicate operation.   🙂

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

If they just stated that she will stay, may be you can just charge them for extra person via Airbnb? Nothing personal, just business. 

Mika8
Level 10
Zürich, Switzerland

@Debbie96 .. next time when someone only 'state' this fact .. then you answer: oh, that's no big deal, I'll just make you a changing offer for the additional person and bring you more towels. 

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

Hi Mika,   This is a most helpful response!   Thank you!   It's everything I would want in a potential response.    I think I missed the boat on using this on my current guests but will be rehearsing this in the future.   

Boy I can't wait until they leave!   They've been spending most of the day (and night)  sitting around my dining table talking to each other, talking on the phone or working on their computers.   

Less than 25 hours to checkout ......let the countdown begin.

@Debbie96 wrote:

Less than 25 hours to checkout ......let the countdown begin.

That is a very long countdown clock. Best.

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

At the risk of sounding disagreeable, it isn't that long of a countdown ......*now*     🙂

....and will be even *shorter* in a little while!

Awww....the beautiful side of time!   tick - tick - tick!

🙂

Rommy5
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

I just had a guest that booked as one guest yet said "they are coming", I tried for several weeks to find out the true number of guests coming, finally 4 days before she was to arrive she told me "8 guest" would be here. I only listed maximum of 6 guests. I made a concession to allow the extra people and even purchased extra bedding and very nice air mattresses for her. Due to a mistake by an Airbnb rep on the phone I was led to believe that the upcharge would be dinged on her credit card. (I several times sent the change request to her without any response) So now there are 8 in my home and no payment received for extra people. Finally as I was on way to speak with her, the airbnb rep (a new one) called and said the increase had been accepted. Bottom line is, I went out of my way to help her and the home was left with lots of problems and an insurance claim. I have decided that I will not do this again, and the guest will need to pay before (a couple days at least) of checkin time. I hope you don't have this problem to deal with any more.

Jeanette37
Level 3
Traralgon, Australia

Hello everyone.  I have a guest for the weekend and I suspect that she has "snuck" a friend in overnight as I clearly heard 2 voices last night.  I have stated in my listing that this is not on but not sure whether guests have the ability to check this out for themselves.  This is a breach of my house rules apart from being unsafe as if, in the unlikely event of an emergency, I was able to get out and report to the fire authority that they're looking for one guest an extra person would not be accounted for.  Can you imagine me telling the fire fighting people that I have one guest staying so they won't be looking for anyone else and they find an extra body and don't know who it is (he may not have ID on him)????  I don't want to confront either of them on the basis of not creating dramas but when he gets up and goes to the toilet (if I'm here when that happens) I will be insisting on telling me who he is and showing me some ID so I at least know who he is by name.  If he refuses I'll be calling the Police as he's an uninvited guest and possibly will kick both of them out.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I have a thing on my listing that says each guest over my maximum £200.