Unjust Reviews Demotivate Dedicated Hosts

Milan33
Level 2
Skopje, Macedonia

Unjust Reviews Demotivate Dedicated Hosts

Dear Airbnb friends, 

We are working with Airbnb for a year and a half and are really enjoying the whole experience. We meet great people, we do our best to make our guests heppy and to satisfy all their needs, sometimer we even feel like we travel ourselves when hosting. Still, there are issues like the last one we decided to share with you. 

It's a negative review. We know how the reviewing system functions, it's all clear. We know we can answer - we did it before. Still, the last situation was completely unrighteous and frustrating! We got two stars because the guests didn't know how to use the heater! We always explan our guestss everything about the home, and this group was not an exception. When we came to make the registration on the first day of their stay we explained every single thing. We always tell them to contact us if they have even the smallest issue - because something may "not work" just because the guest doesn't know how to use it. We are always here for our guests, we were here for all their issues, but they didn't call us at all. 

Besides, when we registered them - the heaters worked perfectly. There are regulating termometers in both rooms. It was 20 degrees celsius. This is a normal temperature for any season. Still, if someone wants more - there is the regulator, so they could just adjust it. 

Furthermore, they left the appartment in a terrible mess and broke things (an expensive vase in the bedroom). Still, we did not complain and didn't write a negative review - we generally don't do it beacuse we know how the reviews are important within the Airbnb community. If the experience is not positive - we usually decide not to leave any review. But this time it is simply unrighteous... They got a day extra for free - because they checked in during the night before their reservation. We left them to have a sleep, than we came to do the registration. And we got two stars fot that... 

We are really dedicated to what we are doing. We prepare a third listing and we enjoy being part of Airbnb. It's more than a platfotm for making business - it is a community where people share common ideals. As much as we are enthusiatic to go further, so much we get disappointed and desperate when we face situations like this. 

We shared the issue with the Airbnb help service and asked them to make an exception and remove the comment. They answered that it is not possible. This was our reply to it:

"Our dear A., thanks for the answer. The general policy is familiar to us. What we asked for was an exception from the rule. And Airbnb sometimes makes exceptions in such cases. It's not a question of policies, legal documents and law - it's a question of ethics. Airbnb connects human beings. Therefore is important so view each case personally and ethically, not only legally. The review is simply not *righteous* (I hope you grasp the importance of this word). I am sure Airbnb can make an exception in this case - it's just a matter of good will and understanding. 

I don't understand people who are ready to make a chaos on someones home and than leave a two star review. We had terrible guests - but I just only once wrote a negative review and that was more than one year ago. 

Finally, we are Airbnb hosts for a year and a half. We have never broken a single Airbnb rule - especially the ethical rules not to host guests outside the Airbnb network. We were and will stay fair to the community - because that's the way we primarily understand Airbnb, namely as a community. We also expect that the Airbnb management team will be righteous with those who are fair and loyal. It's very simple and obvious point. "

We got the same negative answer from Airbnb. We also contacted our guest (from the profile it is obvious that this is a person who used Airbnb only once in life, without a profile picture, other reviews or any idea how the Airbnb community functions) to clear the problem with them - they didn't respond at all. At the end we suggested the following to the Airbnb contact centre: 

"Have you considered the option to review your policy and let the active and dedicated hosts to choose to delete a comment in a period of time? For example, to delete one comment in six months. I believe that could improove the performance of the whole platform and strenghten the community"

What do you think about this suggestion? Do you have any idea what can we do further beside answering to the review? 

Thank you in advance for your answers! 

Milan & Ana 

11 Replies 11

@Milan33, the review that mentions the heaters is not so bad. A quick and professional response from you should put to rest any concerns for future guests. The rest of your reviews clearly indicate that your place is a great place to stay.

Maybe a response like:

"We are sorry you were not able to make good use of the heater! The heater is very capable of keeping the place warm, as our other guests have found. We wish you would have reached out to us during your stay so that we could have helped you with it. We hope you otherwise enjoyed your stay in Skopje!"

No one else mentions a problem with the heater, so future guests will figure that this one person could not follow directions and did not ask for help.

There is no real need to spend too much effort on deleting it if AirBnB is reluctant to do so.

It will soon be buried by your other good reviews.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Milan33Guests say the most foolish things, because when they run into a 'problem' they don't address them ~intelligently~ and then oftentimes rather suffer then say anything not to sound dumb, but then complain afterwards to validate their less-than-bright decision. I have an idea..

Why not set the the heaters at a setting that will 'cover' most guests, if possible, the less they have to figure out the better.

When reviewing, do not bother to address the absurd, either ignore it or make light of it. This is what helps the reader (aka ~future~ guests) to dismiss odd foolish comments as what they really are - odd foolish comments.

P.S. You are are obviously excellent hosts, all that matters - in the long run.

Mariana268
Level 2
Malibu, CA

@Milan33 I understand how frustrated you are. Yesterday someone demanded full refund to vacate my property and after I agreed SHE DID NOT VACATED she was lounging and swimming in the heated pool. When I confronted her she threated to post a bad review IF I didnt allowed her to stay UNTIL 4 P.M. After she checked out I received an call from AirBnb case manager saying she wanted full refund for stay... 

No... that's terrible. I see my case is quite benign when compared to other situations hosts have. I wish you a lot of success with your work. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Milan33  I think it would be a great idea to allow hosts to remove one review per year, as long as their other reviews are good. I've fortunately not had any bad crazy reviews, but it seems like lots of hosts do get them.

If you post the suggestion on Host Voice, I'll thumbs up it.

I been advocating for this for two years with Airbnb @Sarah977. It is really based on a philosophical stand; the opinion of the obviously mean-spirited people whose intent is clearly to do harm to others shouldn't merit the same right (their review can't be deleted for example) as those from the honest and fair-minded.

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

Please don't let that one review ruin your enthusiasm.  I read it and it really wasn't that bad.  I would respond with a simple, "The heater works perfectly.  Sorry you did not understand the instructions provided or contact us for help".   Any potential guest reading your reviews will ignore that one and focus on all your other very positive reviews.  

Milan33
Level 2
Skopje, Macedonia

Thank you all for the replies! I just left one week off in order to calm a bit about the whole thing. I will accept your advices and post an answer that should explain the whole issue. What I am really surprised and happy about is that there is really a community of people ready to give a feedback and advice to one another. Thank you once again and I wish you a lot of success and joy in your work and lives. 

@Milan33 With a awesome beard like that, you are destined for success!

sometimes it’s so darn frustrating when we are down on our hands and knees making things perfect and a guest just takes a cheap shot. We work so hard it becomes personal. 

I have a glitter magic wand and I sprinkle magic on bad guest with a “Bippity boppetty Boop!”.

Then Taylor Swift “Shake it off” karaoke for a dash of ridiculousness! 

“Trust the system”

Michelle-and-Ray0
Level 10
Kimberley, Canada

"If the experience is not positive - we usually decide not to leave any review."
Please don't do this. If a guest is less than satifactory, please DO write a review and be HONEST. That is what helps other hosts avoid trouble makers and less desirable guests. Otherwise other hosts have nothing to go on when deciding whether to host a guest or not and the whole system doesn't work.
As a host deciding whether to host a guest or not, we have NO IDEA how many places a guest has stayed at and how many other hosts have decided to do what you did and not leave a review or are simply too lazy to bother to write a review. There's simply no way to tell, so you not leaving a review does zero for other hosts and, IMHO, actually hurts the system.

You are completely right! Thanks for the suggestion.