Unreasonable guest complaint and refund request?

Answered!
Joanna13
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

Unreasonable guest complaint and refund request?

Hi all. I have an unexpected challenge.

My partner and I are "superhosts" in Lisbon, Portugal. We rent one room in our own home - that is, a private bedroom and bathroom in an apartment that is shared with us (and our dog). We've had many guests, all excellent reviews and no complaints. Until today!

A couple who were booked in our guest room for three nights have stayed just one and are checking out early. Early-to-bed and early-to-rise types, they are complaining of noises at night and demand a refund. She insists that she is a very sound sleeper but was utterly disturbed for two full hours, from midnight until 2:00 a.m. She says that they pay for a good night's sleep, and they are not getting it, and therefore they want their money back.

It's true that my partner and I arrived home around 1:00 last night after a concert, but this is not at all uncommon for us. In fact, it's not at all uncommon for Portuguese culture in general, which is - like Spain - highly noctournal. But we're always extremely careful to be quiet and considerate of our guests and, as I said, we've never had anyone complain or make any mention of it. We are very sensitive to it, such that we even provide new earplugs to all guests when they check in, just in case!

Our guests obviously understood that they were renting a room in a shared house, and this means that the hosts will be present and moving around, living our lives. This is not a hotel, nor is it a private apartment. We feel entirely certain that we have not done anything out of line, inappropriate or unacceptable and I do not feel that a refund is in order. 

Does Airbnb policy obligate us to refund the guests' money?

Any suggestions regarding how to deal with their inevitable bad review?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Joanna13 I would ask the guest to cancel as follows:

"Hi guest-- I am so sorry to hear that we disturbed you. As this is a shared home, we do our very best to make guests comfortable. Please feel free to cancel your reservation and I will alert Airbnb that you are looking for a space that is a better fit."

Then get ready with your review..."So and so was /clean/communicated well (whatever nice thing you can say) but was uncomfortable in our home share space. It seemed that they were not fully aware of the information in the listing about our habits and what we offer. They would be best suited to a private, self-catering situation like a hotel where they have more control of the entire environment."

It gets to the point with some of these guests where you have to really take stock of the fact that this is YOUR space. There is definitely a line between helpful feedback and dictating the terms of how the actual homeowner lives. Not all guests are a fit for all hosts. 

View Best Answer in original post

31 Replies 31

@Sarah977 I keep doing that-- I need to start looking at dates. Wonder why these zombie threads are coming back?

@Laura2592  I guess users do a search on a topic, and call up an ancient post which moves it up the ladder.