Unreasonable refund request

Answered!
Liva0
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Unreasonable refund request

Hi, 

A guest who stayed for 5 nights and had a good time has emailed me that she had a dry sore throat every morning (which she did not tell me about while here) that would go away after hot tea. 

I responded that I was sorry to hear but while she was here for energy work (holistic practices), it's possible that her body was working through some things and also that it's also very likely that having the AC on all night would make that happen, especially when it's not hot outside.

I also joked about "hey, it's Florida so you know, humidity" -- as we'd joked during her stay.
Well, she has now filed a refund for the full amount of her stay based on her dry sore throart every morning that would go away after hot tea. I have explained in the resolution center that I find it surprising she wouldn't say a word during her stay and ask for a refund -- and a full refund! -- because of a dry sore throat.

I highlighted that she herself told me she had a lot of allergies -- which I paid close attention to while she was here -- and that could be an indication why she felt anything strange when no one in a year that I've been here and who has stayed in the guest room, including myself, had that problem. 

What do you suggest I do? 

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Liva0,

It sounds like you have done all that you can and I would decline the request and let Airbnb make their final decision.  It does sound like quite a ridiculous claim!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Liva0,

It sounds like you have done all that you can and I would decline the request and let Airbnb make their final decision.  It does sound like quite a ridiculous claim!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi @Dave-and-Deb0 Thanks for the response. 

I'm still in shock, to be honest. 

I have declined the request and asked airbnb to jump in. 

I'll keep you posted. 

Well, what happened?  Did Airbnb make a decision?

Graeme1
Level 3
Burleigh Heads, Australia

I'm with young Jason.

What was the response from Airbnb, as we take seriously any issues that are raised by guests and we certainly would want to know if we would have the backing of Airbnb if we encountered a similar situation.

Hi Graeme, 

Absolutely, we do. Check out the response I just shared, you'll be relieved to know Airbnb took the most reasonable decision!

Liv

Hi Jason,

Airbnb was very swift. At first, the person kept on messaging more and more about more possible, yet non plausible, causes for her "dry sore throat in the morning." I went onto Twitter to accelerate the process so that Airbnb jumps in faster.

Within a few minutes, I was assigned a very polite and reassuring mediator. He was very professional and assured me he would review everything and decide the following day. It was a Sunday so it was all the more impressive that he would get onto it and read all the exchanges that day to make a decision on Monday.

Sure enough, on Monday, I received a resolution: Airbnb declined her request for a full refund and the message also said they would take it over from there with her. 

So yes, Airbnb is with us for such incredible demands. 

One interesting thing I have noticed that you might want to know too is that I systematically ask potential guests to verify their offline identity and that woman was no exception: she did it. When I went back to her profile, her offline ID was no longer there. I don't know if it was her doing or Airbnb's. 

In any case, I went to her profile to flag her as a non-commendable guest for future reference.

I hope this helps!

Liv 

Airbnb assigned a mediator who asked me questions and we had a conversation about how things happened. I also had past guests before her and the one immediately after her who had accepted to get contacted if needed. In the end, they declined her request. I was pleased they saw through it and said I wanted to report her as a guest. 

I have nothing to refute the guests complaints but my 5 star rating.  I cleaned up the mess they made before I saw that they had asked for a refund 

If it's really messy, i automatically take pictures. I hope you had a positive resolution. 

Simon36
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Some people are unbelievable wanting a refund for being sick or allergies?? Her sore throat could come from anywhere

Totally agree. 

I have the same issue, does Airbnb refund them back?

Hi! You have to ask for mediation and tell them your end of the story and document it. My guests just before and just after both were very happy and had agreed to write a note or be contacted by Airbnb if needed. Being super allergic myself, my house is always free of allergens of any kind so that's just it. Good luck! 

That is very true !