Unusual guest who doesn't stay

Lluvia1
Level 2
Easton, PA

Unusual guest who doesn't stay

So, we have a full apartment in the woods. I received a booking from a photographer who said that he wanted to take pictures. I thought he meant pictures of the city/area that we live. When I asked about who was the 2nd guest he said, it's "my model" . I still thought it was going to be a photoshoot somewhere around the area. When they arrived around 3 pm,I see a girl with glitter on the face.. ok, no problem. They stayed for around 5 hours in the place and then he texted me if since they "finished early" they were leaving. I was a bit confused and asked again if they're not staying for the night, and he confirmed they already left . Next day when we go to clean the place , the bed was intact but there was glitter all over the floor and the white chairs around the table. 

I'm not sure what kind of photographer it was, I don't care what they do with their "art" . But I don't love the glitter every where and I'm not sure if we will ever have problems of those pictures taken at our place.  I haven't wrote a review and I'm not sure if I should say /do something else. 

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

The question is if there was any damage done, @Lluvia1. If you don't like the idea of photos taken in your place, put it in the house rules. Whoever else might want to do so in the future, they would be breaking them and you might simply request money. A couple of weeks ago here in the forum there was a post by a host whose place attracts film makers.

As for the review, make sure it reflects the truth in a pretty neutral way. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lluvia1 I recently hosted a family from China and the son had a confetti gun that shot confetti rounds into the air. Well little bits of confetti were EVERYWHERE! The son was kind enough to leave me the confetti gun in my mailbox as a going away present. I feel your pain. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The pictures weren't the issue right? It was the glitter, meaning the prop they used in their 'photo' shoot. This is one kinky couple.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Lluvia1 every host who has already experienced this likely has a “no glitter” clause in their rules. My listing says “no commercial photography/video”. Not inconceivable that you could try to charge him for extra cleanup time. May be a 50/50 tossup whether he or abb agree to pay for that. 

As for the review. “Guest and his guest perhaps had a lovely time in our cabin based on the amount of glitter they left behind. We think maybe there was a misunderstanding about their plans and the suitability of our cabin for those plans. They left within a couple hours of their arrival so we may never know for sure. Nice enough guy, future hosts may just want to communicate more clearly. “

But thats just my wordiness coming out.suspect @@David might just say “too much glitter”

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Btw, what is 'glitter'. those parkling things that get easily inbedded everywhere?

yes, that is correct. Sparkling and also sticky.

BedandStay0
Level 3
Tokyo, Japan

woow the things you learned.

I will never think about putting a confetti note or worried about it but as my house also will host families so that is something to keep in mind.

So far here in Tokyo I havent heard about the houses being rented for photoshoots but I will keep that in mind.

I am concerned too about why did they left early and the real purpose of renting the place.

As other host mentioned, if there was not damage you can leave a review indicating he was a nice guest but there was some glitter behind.

- - - - Planning to visit Tokyo, check my listing https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21581868 - - - -

Coleen2
Level 4
Lège-Cap-Ferret, France

I have a listing in Lege Cap Ferret France, being a beach town, all my floors are tile to keep sand clean-up to a minimum. Glitter on the other hand... will hang around for years. Sorry that happened to you.

Secondly, I am a professional photographer and I have had my staff rent luxury hotel rooms, cabin's, cabanas on the beach, you name it, for magazine photoshoots that lasted less than 5 hours. 

Once hair and makeup is done, lighting is set up, sometimes you are lucky, or good enough, to get the shot you need within 10 minutes after set up. I honestly doubt there was anything nefarious happening in your rental. I too have left a rental after a very short time, I hope your guests didn't ask for a discount for leaving early. I never ask for a discount and I, and my staff, always left the rooms clean and in order when we were done.

You can be specific about 'No Glitter' rule, but rethink  not allowing photoshoots. All the places I have ever rented have been happy to get the money with little to no effort to re-set the room after we left so they could rent it again for the night. It was always a win-win for the hosts. Just be really specific about the condition the room should be left in in your policies and don't be afraid to charge for any extra clean up. 

🙂