Unusual problem

Nadeem2
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Unusual problem

I am a super host with a pretty good track record. Last night a couple from Singapore checked in. When they arrived they had a problem finding the key (I keep the key outside the property and noone had ever struggled so much). At 7 am I was woken up by a salvo of WhatsApp messages.

The first asked why the water in the shower was cold for the first 10 seconds before it heated. This was followed by a message asking why it became hot but became cold if she turned the shower  off for a time and back on again. 

The second was telling me they were cold over night and did I have a heater. I asked them why they didn't turn the large radiator at the end of their bed on. They said they were too tired and it literally took 10 minutes of explaining how to turn the radiator valve. Down to me having to explain 0 was off and 6 was hot.

After that I was asked if I had a hairdryer. When I replied no the response sounded so disappointed I went out and bought one.

When the guest made the booking they informed me rather than asking me if they could have football tickets sent here. Of coirse I was at work when they arrived so had the pain of sorting office collections.

Today when leaving today they left music playing so I assumed they were out. When I got back from work and it was still playing I knocked and they were out but had left it playing.

To make things worse tonight an alarm kept going off in their room at about 9pm. They had sent a message saying they were going out so I assumed with that and no one stopping the recurrent alarm that they went out. Stupidly I walked in to stop the annoying alarm and they were asleep in bed. Disaster.

For the first time I feel like I'm not a good enough host and like they will leave me a bad review particularly after the walking in to their room. 

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

You may expect some common sense from your guests. Asking for a heater while there is one, leaving music on playing while away, let the alarm sound while in bed, it's all not your fault. Apologies for the "walking in their bedroom", but explain the circumstances. That's all you can do. Try to make their stay to a happy end and think twice before taking action on their stupid behaviour.

Good luck, Emiel

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

As for the water heater, @Nadeem2, because I guess that you use a gas heater, I had once a simiar problem with American siblings who claimed that my tap was broken.

Make sure you reflect the experience with the guests in your review for them not only to give an idea to other hosts, but also not to regret when they have reviewed you poorly.

And don't forget to respond to theirs - not much but still something to clarify the situation.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Nadeem

I have Gas boiler to heat water and central heating, I explain to each guest how it works and its idiosyncrasies, I must confess it's a lot easier to explain in person then writing down or over the phone. 

There is a down side to remote hosting and more often then not it's the Guest that suffers,

food for thought perhaps!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Just had quests from Malaysia who were unbelieavably clueless about the most basic things we take for granted and assume everyone has some clue about that come from western countries. They were pleasant enough however and we did have good laughs about it, and made it work so not the end of the world, just very surprising.

Of course, they had no business even being in my place in the first place, but that is another story.

@Nadeem2

Just my 2 cents...... I would like to say that certain household appliances can be extremely difficult to navigate if people are not familiar with them. Especially the radiator might not be as obvious as you think it is because from what I understand radiators are not widely used in many parts of Asia. 

If you get international guests, you should think about explaining the obvious - especially for appliances, electronics, anything with a remote and maybe the HVAC or central cooling/heating system of your home. 

FYI - most of my guests needed help opening my front door to leave my house the first couple times because my door literally has no "door knob". And even with instructions, it took them a while before they got comfortable with my washing machine. Also I'm pretty sure most westerners would have no idea how to use my rice cooker - it's very fancy and high tech! Most of the rice cookers sold in western countries STILL look like the one my grandma used to use 30 years ago.  

Certain quirks about your home may be nothing to you but unimaginable to others 🙂 

@Nadeem2   Even though I live here and go through everything when my guests arrive some just do not absorb any information. I am in the process of making instructions (visual - so they are internationally understood) and having them laminated (that way they stay where they are, are not ugly, and don't get damaged by water or usage). I will attach them to each thing that the one in a million guest has had a problem with - only the door so far, by people who have only ever used digital code locks!  Even though I only give them one key for the entrance and tape over the other two locks I have had a guest or two who removes the tape, forces the key into the wrong lock and breaks it in the lock so I have to call a locksmith. Not cheap!

btw: How does anyone sleep through an alarm?Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 12.34.02 PM.png

@Ange2

Such people do exist. Henry does not understand how but I can pretty much sleep thru anything, not just alarms 🙂

Personally, I don't understand it when Henry says he was really tired but something woke him up in the middle of the night and he wasn't able to fall back asleep so he only got 3 hrs sleep. I mean..... I sympathize but at the same time I really don't understand how you can be tired and you want to sleep.......but can't?!?!?!?!?! (how can you NOT sleep when you're tired???)

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Not to be funny lol had a guest that told me is really hot in here so I show him how to close the radiator so Dad cheacks the place to see if things are all right in retune my Dad tells me they must love the cold because all the window was open that's one,  now I had other guest that ask my Dad were is the wood for the stove so my Dad had to show them that the stove is gas had to show them how to use it my Dad told me they were so amazed with the stove