Up front pricing trial (including fees and service fees)

Answered!
Christie-and-Clint0
Level 4
Rochester Hills, MI

Up front pricing trial (including fees and service fees)

I am very concerned as a host about this new trial that makes my listing appear almost double the price per night in search forums.  Everyone knows that price is one of first things people look at when searching for a property to determine whether it is within their price range or budget. By putting the additional charges out front, my concern is that people will automatically skip certain listings and not even bother to open them or read about them because they appear to be out of their budget.

It is also very difficult for hosts to do are market research regarding the going rates for cleaning fees etc..  when everything is lumped together.  You can't even see the breakdown unless you try to book the place.  My opinion as a host and a traveler is that people want to see the price per night at the most attractive cost.  I feel that pricing everything up front is misleading to people who may not realize the fee structure and breakdown as it makes it appear on outside that the "hosts" are setting these higher prices which is obviously not the case. I hope to go back to the old price advertising structure sooner than later.

1 Best Answer
Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

100% with you, and you can see my post about it here  Re: New Upfront Pricing is BAD

Now, they compounded the error by removing prices on both the listings and the map.  Guests need to click on each icon, enter the date, and then they are finally given a price.  Seriously?   Like many hosts, AirBnb isn't our only hosting platform so when those guests book and fill our schedule, that's less opportunity for AirBnb to get their cut.

ABB pricing3.png  

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Sean119
Level 10
Blue Hill, ME

100% with you, and you can see my post about it here  Re: New Upfront Pricing is BAD

Now, they compounded the error by removing prices on both the listings and the map.  Guests need to click on each icon, enter the date, and then they are finally given a price.  Seriously?   Like many hosts, AirBnb isn't our only hosting platform so when those guests book and fill our schedule, that's less opportunity for AirBnb to get their cut.

ABB pricing3.png  

how do i remove my listing from the trial please? i think there is something disingenuous about Airbnb hiding their fees and making it look as though any fees are all set by and all go to the host. 

@Sean119 , They must be running various different trials, in different locations.  CO has pricing on the map and listing.

Brittney66
Level 1
Newport, Ireland

100% agree. Especially now that they don’t reveal the fee breakdown. Our bookings went to zero when this started, mostly because it looks like we jacked up our prices. When I inquired with airbnb customer service I just received a snarky lecture on how to set my prices. Very disappointed as our rental bookings collapsed due to this. Looking at ither platforms now. 

Kirsty138
Level 1
United Kingdom

I’ve just made a complaint to Airbnb.  They’ve wrapped up pricing to cover their own fees suggesting it’s ‘hosts fees’ first.  My price has gone up from £195 a night to £255 !  I’m already loosing bookings.  Disgraceful & id like to know how to remove my listing from the trial !  

me too , how to remove? can we just go back to the old system pls?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kirsty138 @Christie-and-Clint0 I really don't know what the issue is. When I look at our pricing it says:

£99 × 3 nights
£298
This upfront price already includes fees set by the Host, service fees, and taxes.
Given this is the price that the guest will pay I really don't know what the problem is. For too long guests have been hit late in the process with cleaning and service fees etc. 
I really don't think the guest cares if the host gets the money, the listing site, or even the government  gets the money they just care what it will cost them.

I agree.  I do not charge a significant cleaning fee, so when the upfront pricing is done my total cost is much lower than others in the area who have low nightly rates to attract guests.  Not knowing the cleaning cost until ready to book can really surprise the guest.  

Ralda95
Level 2
Scarborough, ME

Who decided this was a good idea?  It says the price includes cleaning and fees but no breakdown until you book?  

The airlines don't do this because it creates confusion and it is a huge competitive pricing advantage for those airlines who use a base price.

As a host, I want to control my price and that is the price I want guests to see when they are looking for a property.  Everyone knows there is cleaning and fees and a potential guest can see that breakdown before booking.  Now, it just looks like my price is significantly higher- worst yet,  most potential guests think this is the base price.  

Why fix something that was not broken?????

Totally agree. My pricing went up 40%. Nobody is booking since it pushed pricing over $1000/ night. Airbnb needs to lower fees or at least put in a sliding scale. 15% on a 1000/ night booking then 12% for taxes is ridiculous. It is over a 20% resort fee which is also insulting. Time to change platforms. 

I agree , i was shocked my price goes up ????

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

It doesn't appear to be a trial, that you sign up to participate.  Thanks @Christie-and-Clint0  for the heads up.   I see it is in effect for listings in Colorado, and I did not sign up.

Denice0_0-1633733601714.png

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

It's being called "upfront price".  I was also amused when I looked at the competition and saw this listing as an Airbnb "rare find"  with a 3 star rating and only 4 reviews.  I'd love to know how the algorithms choose to feature the low rated and reviewed listings (large property managers ?).

Ralda95
Level 2
Scarborough, ME

There is a reason that the airlines and hotels do not includes fees, etc in their pricing.  Their competition doesn't do it and the consumer is accustomed to seeing base price.  

So now, we just look like the price is high with that note on the screen near the price that says - includes fees and cleaning.  There is no breakdown of the price until you book.  Which is terrible.  

There is a base price which we, as hosts, should be able to set and that should be the price a potential guest sees when they search for a listing.

Why fix something that was not broken?