Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

So, Airbnb introduced a long-expected Pet fee...

BUT... I just realized there is a catch...

hosts can only set a pet fee per booking..... not per day .... and not per pet! 

Pet fee is NOT multiplied by the number of pets! Guests can book for up to 5 pets.... and pay only one pet fee

SORRY AIRBNB BUT THIS IS NOT GONNA WORK... we will stop accepting pets until Airbnb change this nonsense

@Quincy 

71 Replies 71
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Branka-and-Silvia0  And the booking form says "If you're lucky enough to be travelling with more than 2 pets, make sure to let the host know". So Airbnb is now telling guests they can just show up with 2 dogs, without mentioning it.

The "pets allowed" filter is also gone. So guests seem to now be given the understanding that they can show up to any listing with at least 2 dogs.

So much for the pet fee everyone's been asking for. Be careful what you wish for.

They also give the heavy hint that the pet can be an emotional support animal, so NO fees for you. All my listings are now pet UNfriendly!

@Deborah350  I predict that half the listings that were pet-friendly will now switch to No Pets, because of the ridiculous and disrespectful parameters attached to this new Pet Fee feature. 

Way to go, Airbnb.

@Sarah977  Airbnb, there is nothing, nothing that they cannot over complicate and turn to the disadvantage of hosts.  I doubt there are many people traveling with 5 dogs, but why do they have to clutter everything up with eventualities that are on the margins?

Why not make the pet fee a fee that exists for 1 dog and can be added if there are more than 1?  It isn't hard, it barely even requires common sense.

@Mark116  Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when they sit around discussing new features and what to implement? 

I've thought before about other crazy ideas that have taken hold around the world in history.

Take Chinese foot-binding. Who first said "Hey, I've got a good idea. Lets break all the bones in our 5 year old daughters' feet with a hammer, fold their toes under the soles of their feet, and bind them up tight so they can never walk properly again and suffer a lifetime of painful infections"?

Instead of everyone saying, "Are you effin' insane?", obviously others concurred that it was a really great idea.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Stopped us getting away from the family rapists...@Sarah977 @Sar@Sarah977 That's the problem with oppression we collude. But not here however. Effective militancy in action!!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

I immediately thought of your earlier words of warning about not fixing things....!! 

BUT we can see this put right. I've every confidence in the dignified assertions here. 

Can we opt out of having ABB add the pet fee and just inform our guests of our pet fee PER pet?  This means we will need to ask every guest if they plan to bring a pet. Which many are doing!!!

Sheryl122
Level 2
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada

I contacted Airbnb support regarding the pet filter. Guests now have to populate if they are bringing a pet just like they would the designation. Only pet friendly accommodations will show up.  I document 1 dog maximum in my additional rules. If guests show up with more than 1 pet they are violating my rules and will be denied entry. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sarah977 @Deborah350 

you are right, we were pet-friendly until now but not anymore. We will not host pets under these conditions.

Unbelievable but there are no pet-friendly and child-friendly search filters anymore. Guests now have to open each listing, scroll to the bottom to see if they can book with kids or pets. So time-consuming and nerve-breaking for guests

Btw we had guests with 2 pets, they came to Zagreb on a dog show and of course, we doubled the pet fee and they didn't object.

My friends and I went on a trip and stayed in Airbnb with our 3 dogs, we paid 3 pet fees and didn't complain, we were grateful our host accepted us, and of course, we were ready to pay for our dogs. I don't understand why Airbnb thinks guests don't like, or don't want to pay for infants and pets?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Why would they remove the pet filter?  Could it be a glitch?  Although possibly they believed that finally allowing a pet fee would open the flood gates and all hosts would change to pet friendly.  Such a weird company.

@Mark116  Such a weird company is right. They seem to have zero understanding of what works for either hosts or guests, despite all the feedback they get.

**sensitive remarks removed

@Sarah977  it is a lack of common sense. **

**Sensitive remarks removed

@Branka-and-Silvia0 *sensitive remarks removed

Where exactly did you find written that you can't charge per pet? Can you screenshot it? Or did you do a simulated booking entering 5 pets?