Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Up to 5 dogs for 1 single pet-fee per booking? No way!

So, Airbnb introduced a long-expected Pet fee...

BUT... I just realized there is a catch...

hosts can only set a pet fee per booking..... not per day .... and not per pet! 

Pet fee is NOT multiplied by the number of pets! Guests can book for up to 5 pets.... and pay only one pet fee

SORRY AIRBNB BUT THIS IS NOT GONNA WORK... we will stop accepting pets until Airbnb change this nonsense

@Quincy 

71 Replies 71

@Sarah977  I read about it on another forum, (needless to say, hosts are pissed) so I tried on my listing. If I set pet fee 10€ it doesn't change with more pets selected.

And one more thing... it is not shown as a separate fee but included in the nightly price. For example, if my nightly price is 50€ and pet fee is 10€ then the 1-night booking is shown like 60€ per night + cleaning fee + service fee .... and it doesn't change if I select 1, 2 or 5 pets.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Thanks. Host on another forum was asking. I'll pass on the info.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  I thought it was a little strange that Airbnb was going to wrap the pet fee into the nightly price, I can't think of what their reasoning there is since it's an extra fee.  It is also bizarre that you can't change the fee based on the number of pets, why would they do that?  Do they think that 2 or 3 dogs create the same cleaning challenges as 1 dog?  Maybe so, since as you say, they believe that it is fine to bring 5 infants to a listing and not count them as guests.  

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Sarah977 

Up to five babies for free? Same pet fee for up to 5 pets?

What it is with the number "five"?!?!?!?!

@Jessica-and-Henry0  **

**Sensitive remarks removed

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Five dogs lodged on a property most anywhere is not legal under city and municipal and zoning and development codes.  What planet is ABB on? 

Susan

@Susan990  I didn't even think of that, but I'm sure that is correct.  Airbnb must have forgotten that the bulk of its listings are in large cities.  I just checked NYC and the limit is 3 dogs.  It looks like state law in CA has a max of 4 dogs without a special license.

And lets not forget about the pet limits of Airlines, Rental Cars, trains, buses.  Just how much new business does ABB think it is courting with this siren call to the looney accidental tourist crowd? In the coming months we will experience the " guest harvest" of this folly. 

Susan
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I so don't understand how they came up with this. LOL.  5 dogs?

"Hi Host-

My name is Laura and I like to travel with a pack of Alaskan Malamutes to pull my sled of belongings cross country. My dogs sleep outside and tend to howl as they turn in for the night, so I hope that won't be a problem. I also feed them raw venison- do you know of a source nearby (organic only, please)? Thanks so much and I can't wait for my stay!"

@Laura2592 

"Hi host,

my dog just got babies so I travel with her and her 5 puppies. She is my emotional support and I know up to 5 infants can stay for free at Airbnb so I hope you don't expect me to pay any pet fee. And one more thing, please leave enough paper towels and a mop bc puppies crawl everywhere and, of course, they are not house trained yet. Looking forward to our stay 🙂 "

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Why make it so complicated and convoluted?

I do think that ultimately this will discourage rather than encourage people to make their listings pet friendly.  We had been considering it, but if the new policy is that 1) the pet fee makes the listing itself look more expensive  2) the pet fee isn't per pet  3) guests are only suggested to tell the host when they're bringing MORE THAN two pets...those are disincentives.

Why didn't they make it like the cleaning fee?  Something that is easy, visible and transparent.  The pet fee would be per animal and you would add in the number and it would then calculate the cost, just as is done for the extra guest fees.

I simply don't get it.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

" The pet fee would be per animal and you would add in the number and it would then calculate the cost, just as is done for the extra guest fees." 

@Mark116

I agree

Rob66
Level 1
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

I completely agree: the new pet rules are ridiculous!

I've been a Super host for 6 years and have 2 listing that allow dogs. No one has complained about the pet fee, and I charge it per night per dog. As others have mentioned, most pet owners are thrilled to find nice listings that accept pets. 

If this new system stays in effect, I will definitely change my listings to NON-Pet friendly.

Jaw on the floor right now as I tried to book my place with a pet.  This is seriously what guests see when they indicate that they are traveling with a pet. I mean, REALLY?!?!? “Bringing an assistance animal?” Why is Airbnb so hell-bent on pushing this “assistance animal/here’s how your pet can stay for free” agenda? If someone legitimately is traveling with an assistance animal, I’m sure they can talk to the host about that without being prompted.  If you’re traveling with an entire pack of dogs? Well, just let your host know that they’ll be all over the bedspreads for no extra charge! 5EAF4B87-547B-4067-9F73-139D116290C8.png

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I think we can conclude that Airbnb owners don't have a pet, don't like pets, and don't want them to stay at Airbnb. How else to explain this latest move?