Upcharge Etiquette

Upcharge Etiquette

I have a lovely couple who booked my space for the week of their wedding, and requested a clean on their wedding day, so they could come back to a fresh space for their special night. They offered to pay an additional cleaning fee, which we do charge per stay.

My housekeeper said it was a little intense. She hadn’t cleaned during a guests’ stay before. It was quite a bit of extra work, tidying up their things, using extra caution handling their belongings safely. She did a beautiful job, imo, and deserved the additional $ she charged me to perform it.

I plan to pass the additional charge along to the guest. They have another 2 nights with us. When is the appropriate time to add the charge and describe why it it is a little more than our advertised cleaning fee between guests? Somehow, it doesn’t seem right to spring it on them on their wedding night. But the sooner the better, surely. 

Opinions and experiences please! Thanks in advance!

14 Replies 14
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stephen285,

It's appropriate for you to send the money request to the guest now.  Have you already quoted the rate for the additional cleaning with the guest?  Doing so would alleviate a surprise and dispute on their part.

Not quoted exactly, but when they offered to pay an additional cleaning fee, I am sure we both assumed it would be the same as our advertised cleaning fee. What I didn’t anticipate was how much extra work it would be for my housekeeper to navigate the guests belongings, but now that we know, I would be able to quote the higher fee for mid-stay cleanings for future guests. Thank you for your recommendation.

@Stephen285  Because you didn't come to a clear understanding beforehand with the guest about how much this additional cleaning would cost, and it's logical to assume that they would expect it to be in line with your regular cleaning fee, if I were in your shoes, I would keep it to the regular fee and eat the difference. Or maybe let the guest know that it was a lot more work for your cleaner than a normal cleaning, as she had to be careful with their belongings and continually move them around, so she charged you XX amount. Then say you know they probably were anticipating the same as normal fee, as were you, and ask how they feel about it. They may be so grateful that it was done and done well, that they will pay it without any balking, but if they do express some negativity about it, I would let the overage go and consider it a learning experience and a wedding gift.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stephen285,

Ok, but there may be some resentment on the part of your guest, because most don't think that it takes much work to clean up after them.  In the future, I recommend that you always provide a quote in writing via Airbnb's message system.  If you are unable to provide an exact quote, provide the guest a price range, and explain what will determine the price difference.  When you send your money request, list in detail what was done to warrant the amount you're request.

Always, but ALWAYS keep your communication with the guest on Airbnb's message system.  If you have a phone, text, or email with the guest, send the guest a recap of that exchange via the Airbnb message system, and ask them if they have any comments or questions about what's been previously discussed.

Good input. Thank you.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Stephen285,

The guest has 72 hours to respond to your money request.  I am sure that they will have checked their messages by then just to see all of the congratulatory comments.

However, you should send a separate message to them to let them know that you've sent the money request, and tell them to check www. airbnb.com/resolutions if they are unable to see the request on their phone (it doesn't appear on the mobile app).

I have opted to communicate the additional charge with them before formally making the $ request through AirBnB. I do not have a problem offering the additional clean at the standard between-guest fee if they are not agreeable. Now I have some experience to make the service available to future guests who may make a similar request.

Sarah977- This is the route I decided to take. I wrote them a message explaining the housekeeper’s work, and asking for their approval or further discussion before I made the request through AirBnB.

I had a concern about whether this request might be inappropriate on their wedding day, but since neither of you mention it, I’ll assume there is no etiquette breached.

Thanks for your perspective!

@Stephen285  Not optimal to do on their wedding day, and you may not even get a response right away, because, well, they are obviously busy. But if they are checking out in a day and a half, then you have to take care of business. If your message to them is warm and friendly and you say that you don't necessarily expect a response on their wedding night, but just didn't want to spring any last minute charges on them, I should hope they wouldn't be bothered. 

Helpful. Thank you, Sarah.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Interesting topic. I have never had the same situation and don't even charge a cleaning fee, but I do offer my long-term guests cleaning during their stay for a fee (or give them the option to do it themselves and provide cleaning products, laundry facilities and extra linens for them). In practice, however, I would normally do it for free if they only require me to clean once during their stay (I always do the guest bedrooms myself rather than get the cleaner to do it).

I have intentionally not specified an amount because I have learnt that how much time this takes will really vary depending on how tidy the room is before cleaning and how much stuff is lying around. Guests who opt in for this cleaning have never had a problem with the charges as they are not high. I usually tell them before that the extent of cleaning will depend a bit on how much stuff they have around and, if it ends up that there's a lot (common with long-term guests), I clean it as best I can and sometimes have to ask them/inform them that I had to move stuff. No one has ever had a problem with this. Guests who don't want you messing their stuff usually opt out of the cleaning anyway.

I know this is not the same as a wedding day though! @Stephen285 , I wonder how it worked out with your guests? Were they happy with the charges?

Hallo Huma0! They replied this morning and told me they thought it was absolutely fair, and that they appreciated me contacting them before applying the charge, so the plan worked perfectly. And gave me data to apply to future requests.

Be Well!

Adrian278
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Creo que le deberías haber dicho el precio ANTES de haberle hecho la limpieza y si hubiera aceptado. todo perfecto

Agreed! As it happened, I let them know it would be a little more than my standard fee, based on my housekeeper’s charge. The guest agreed before I charged them. Now I have an established fee I can communicate to future guests.