Update: New guests, new findings, new problems...

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Update: New guests, new findings, new problems...

Hello fellow hosts,

I had not visited the community centre for probably the last 3 weeks? It was Lizzy's group message that brought me back here. I have been doing great with hosting, and recently took two guests to dinner at an upscale Thai restaurant. We had great food and great Thai dessert, and a great chat, too. 

2017-10-06 17.30.08.jpg
Both guest left me with great reviews. The only problem is one of them chose 4 stars for the overall star rating by mistake (all 5 stars for every category--value, location, communication, check-in, etc). She already replied to Airbnb case manager that she confirmed 5 stars. But so far Airbnb has not updated it yet and it's been 24 hours!

7 Replies 7
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Also, recently I went to an interior design show and fell in love with this stove... 

2017-09-30 14.56.56.jpg

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

New tips:

I recnelty purchased some cute Japanese-made gifts for my guests. When they check out, I will give each one a gift and they love these little cute, usable, and innovative things made in Japan!

2017-10-10 10.59.49.jpg

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

More new tips:

Do not allow access to the stove! Guests should use the appliances as much as possible for cooking. It is definitely realistic to make a delicious meal just using the microwave, slow cooker, rice cooker, and electric kettle, etc.

My hosting experience has significantly improved since I stopped offering access to the stove after a potential fire hazard caused by a previous guest. 

Allowing access to the stove leads to more problems than not allowing it. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely post @Huaai0, I am glad to hear everything is well with you and that you have been getting up to so much. 

Wow! Look at the colour of the stove, it's amazing. I am not sure my kitchen could handle it, but think my heart could! hehe - did you leave the design show with any purchases or tips (perhaps both!)? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Lizzie

Many peope at the interior design show said that they would still go to Ikea after the show. In other words, they came to the show just to get some ideas, and they would still stick to Ikea.

This makes a great deal of sense. Things displayed at the show were super expensive. A Murphy bed that I was interested in (thinking about Airbnb) would cost $5,000, plus installation. That stove was about $7,000. 

The thing is that nowadays no one is sure if he or she will be living in the property they own permanently, and so no one wants to invest too much on interior design. I almost ordered a laser built-in acquarium (see below) to make my place look like Avatar, but considering the installation would require tearing down a drywall, I gave up. 

2017-10-01 15.02.15.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That makes sense @Huaai0. I have been a to a few interior design shows before and sometimes it is nice just to got to a few talks and see all of the new gadgets for the home, plus the now-in colours! 

Aw that is quite a striking aquarium, perhaps you could do a smaller version which wouldn't mean restructuring your house? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Lizzie

Another good investment--

Since I do not provide the stove due to a fire hazard caused by a previous guest, I just ordered this smart all-in-one multicooker for guests if they wish to cook delicious meals without using the stove. This should be safe and healthy, with over 100 pre-programed recipes. 71EvjuaOOyL._SL1500_.jpg