Update for Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Ping-And-Daryl0
Level 7
East Launceston, AU

Update for Home Hosting Insurance for Australian Hosts

Hello fellow AirBNB hosts,  It has been a while since a thread on this topic was started, so I wanted to get an update on the latest insurance offerings.

We live in our listing which has 2 bedrooms and self contained apartment on ground level with separate entrance.  Our listing in Tasmania meets the requirements for short stays under local council act since it has only 2 bedrooms.

1. First we want to renew our primary insurance policy (home and contents). Trouble is Vero has indicated they will not renew our policy with this notation.  Any ideas here?

2.  Next I have a question about AirBNB insurance. The Host Protection Insurance PDS appears to cover public or thrid party liablity as specfied: 

What’s covered?

Our Host Protection Insurance programme provides primary liability coverage of up to $1 million USD per occurrence, in the event of third-party claims of bodily injury or property damage.

The programme covers certain property damage in common areas of a property outside of the listing itself (for example: a building lobby). Landlords and homeowner associations are also covered in certain cases when claims are filed against them due to a guest suffering an injury during a stay or a guest damages building property.

Certain conditions, limitations, and exclusions may apply.

Then there is a second AirBNB  policy cover called "Host Guarantee"

What’s protected?
  • Damage to a host’s property (home, unit, rooms, possessions)
  • Every Airbnb listing in every country
Payments made through our Host Guarantee are subject to certain conditions, limitations, and exclusions.

If damages occur, documentation (photos, receipts, etc.) will need to be provided as part of the resolution process. More details can be found in our  Host guarantee terms and conditions

Can someone please explain what isn't covered by AirBNB and why we should purchase additional cover for Short Stay Guests in addition to AirBNB cover.

3.  If we really need ShortTerm insurance cover, what are the best options as at Nov 2018? I tried Terr-Scheer, but was told if there are any shared or common areas they will NOT offer any cover. We have a shared area in the laundry only, so unless we lock the laundry we cannot use them.

I appreciate everyone's effort in this community forum.
2 Replies 2
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Ping-And-Daryl0 Whatever tu do, don't rely on Airbnb, make sure you have your own cover. Try BJS Insurancec Brokers. They got me cover for me holiday rentals.  It was more expensive than 'normal' cover, but you need to be confident you are covered. You never know what might happen.

Jane3076
Level 2
Newtown, Australia

Hi, Do you have any recent info on this topic?

Looking for insurance at the moment and having trouble.

Cheers Jane