Update to terms and conditions- refunds for issues with stay

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Update to terms and conditions- refunds for issues with stay

I may have posted about this guest already. However I just got an update from CS that maybe important to everyone.

Guest stayed for two weeks in April. Three days before departure washer leaked through the ceiling on top of kitchen counter. I came over, wiped the counter, emptied the washer and immediately provided the guest access to an apartment next-door with another washer and dryer. Her original one was a stackable in a tiny corner inside a bathroom. The new one was a side-by-side with a table for folding clothes a couch and a TV in a big living room. She had full unlimited access to that space for the duration of her stay and I know she utilized all of it. We could tell when we came to clean after she moved out. I also offered her a free daily laundry service. The repair man came out in about an hour and it was determined that I need a new machine. I immediately purchased one but the guest asked that it were delivered after she moved out. I totally understand how this could be a disruption plus she probably didn’t want other people in the house with the Covid raging at the time. Having said that, she had full access to washer and dryer in an upgraded space plus an option for free daily laundry service. Long story short, about a month after she moved out I received an email from support asking to give her a partial or full refund due to this inconvenience. I think the inconvenience was minuscule, particularly since it was such a long stay. She was accommodated above and beyond. Her stay was $60 per night in a three bedroom 2.5 bath with yard and parking downtown Chicago. How much cheaper can it get? (those were desperate times). I refused it. I pointed out that the water was cleaned up immediately, there was no disruption in her ability to use a washer dryer. After two months of back-and-forth they told me that while that was true, there was also smell. There was no smell after she moved out and there was nothing to smell. It was clean water that was drained and cleaned up immediately, Very little of it, no mold. I had no smell complaints from anyone after her nor smelled anything myself. I pointed out to customer service that the guest has to bring the issue up to me first and give me an opportunity to remedy. Yesterday I got an email from CS that the light of Covid, they’re waiving a requirement for the guest to bring up the issue to the host first. That waiver is not in the terms and conditions. I feel like customer service now just makes stuff up as they go to support whatever outcome they desire for the guest. 

37 Replies 37

@Kelly149 I have made sure that I put down the usage of the other space and the offer of the laundry service in writing. You are right though, I should have insisted on her replying that all was well or put something like "summarize our phone call just now..."

Nothing to add but this CS stuff just makes me livid. LIVID! Guest completes the stay and asks for a refund a month later? Provides no proof? Used a larger apartment and wants to be compensated?

Airbnb is going to crash and burn unless someone with common sense takes over the CS department.

@Christine615,

I would guess that the guest actually submitted for the refund right after the stay, and CS didn't respond to it or closed it, but the guest was persistent and it was finally adjudicated.  She may have received an extra discount, as an apology from CS for their tardiness in settling the matter.

What I still can't get over is that they adjudicated without your consent. Did they ding you for the refund? Honestly, I think Airbnb is going to go out of business soon. It just seems inevitable given these decisions and constant changes to the terms of service.

@Christine615 

They are doing a LOT of adjudicating without even telling the host anything is even going on, let alone allowing the host to defend themselves, unfortunately. I’ve never experienced anything like this before. It’s like CS has just decided they are going to make maverick summary decisions, and boom! That’s what happens...

abb n cs is and will always be guest centric

that us their rev stream and margin

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it

they started rolling down the financial hill Already

no VC will bail out without buyout 

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Sarah978
Level 6
Ithaca, NY

@Inna22 

I just had a very similar situation with CS. The way CS treats hosts vs guests is appalling. I’m so over ABB. Good for you for standing up for yourself!!!