Using a Nest Thermostat

Margo5
Level 4
Austin, TX

Using a Nest Thermostat

I just installed a Nest thermostat and am wondering how other hosts have them set up. I have found the "lock" setting whereby I can control the range of the temperature. Is there a way to fudge the home/away settings such that the thermostat will respond to the guests phone number and thus know when they are in the room or away? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies 4
Traci5
Level 3
Dallas, TX

The nest home/away works on sensing movement only. If u use it while your guests are there, it won't sense movement at night & will go to your away setting. I turn off my home/away when guests are there & just set the lock for the window that i allow.

In order to answer the question correctly, it's essential to know if you own the Nest 2nd or 3rd generation thermostat. Since they require different configurations.

Theresa83
Level 2
Bloomington, IL

I am having the same issue.  I have been turning the home/away off when guests are here.  I do like the lock feature with a reasonable range for guest to utilize

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

On a related note (we have not installed our nest yet but are considering, as we live 4 hours away from our rental), is the nest easy for a guest to use once it's configured properly?