Using 'single' and 'double' in listing titles and descriptions

Sean14
Level 5
Northampton, United Kingdom

Using 'single' and 'double' in listing titles and descriptions

In the UK, single and double are common terms to describe a bed size. 

Looking at my bookings my single adverts are only slightly cheaper than my doubles but are booked nearly twice as often. Is it plausible that 'double bed' might be interpreted as two singles or possibly even a shared room by some guests outside of the UK?

If so, does anyone have any suggestions for name changes? Whilst 'large bed' might work, some might then expect a king size (which they aren't), and a 'small bed' just doesn't sound appealing at all 🙂

I use the bed size in the listing titles too, where of course I can't state the bed dimensions, for example, 'Spacious double room near the University'.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Sean14,

In the US, we use the terms "single bed" and "twin bed" interchangeably (yes, you can have one twin bed in a room).  Double and queen sized bed are also used unterchangeably.  King is just king.

Does this help?

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sean14

My listing does not have "single" or "double" in the title. The bed is double, but it very often accommodates just one visitor. And, in my opinion, it is the price of the stay that matters after all, even if the difference is not big.

My settings of prices distinguish between one and two guests because I charge extra for any guest above "1". So obviously a single visitor pays less (the cleaning fee is an additional factor here though).

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

It is an annoyingly confusing term - not your fault.

The work around is to use "Full-sized bed" as a substitute for a "double bed".

As an aside, in Mexico a Queen sized bed is referred to as a "bed matrimonial" 

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Sean14 I would use "full-size bed" as it is the same size as a double bed (at least here in the U.S.), so it depends whether you have the same terminology there or not.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

What a conundrum,

I'm not keen on "full size bed", is it a full size single or a full size double and a full size double to me is a king size.

On your single listing the line drawing is of a double bed, so is it a double or a single you get to sleep on.