Using the August smart lock integrated with airbnb for code distribution...

Kathryn145
Level 1
Denver, CO

Using the August smart lock integrated with airbnb for code distribution...

I've read other threads and done some research and am leaning towards august.  It seems to do everything I need it to.  One question for those that may be using it already... when it states that a code is sent when a booking is made... is that immediate?  I would think it would need to be the day of arrival to aviod any risk of people gaining access to the space outside their reservation?  Or does the code activate on that day for their stay?  I'm betting it's not sharp enough to manage hours and instead relies on days?  Any guidance the community can provide here would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks 🙂

10 Replies 10

@Kathryn145, the August lock system does indeed send setup information to the guest immediately upon a confirmed booking (you will get the confirmation email from AirBnB and the August lock email around the same time.)

Your bet that the system is not smart enough to manage hours is wrong: the August lock *will* be set up automatically according to your exact chosen check-in and check-out times.

If the guest does not set up the August lock software after a few days, you will be sent a reminder email with the instructions that you can forward to the guest. I am not sure if the guest also gets a copy automatically.

For myself, I also send a reminder just before the trip with the necessary check-in information.

It does work as described.

Did you get a keypad to go along with the August lock?

Matthew - this is great information. Can you share a document or link where I can get the step by step process on how to set up the August Smart lock to work with my Airbnb account? 

The first thing I did I went to my August smart app and paired the Airbnb account from there but nothing else is happening and I have bookings coming in. 

Please help if you can!

John1132
Level 2
Binghamton, NY

I have used the August lock for several months now and overall I am pleased with having it just to monitor traffic in and out of our rental which is 4 hours from our home.  It does send a key automatically to the guest as Matthew described.  There are potential issues with phone compatability, I have a Motorola Droid Turbo which will not connect via Bluetooth.  August works best with apple products.  For this reason I will always have a lockbox with a physical key as a backup.  I also installed the keypad which I wouldn't recommend at this point.  The overall construction is rather cheap looking and it's performance is inconsistent.  It definitely is affected by cold weather since it is battery operated.  The keypad is also very picky about the "pace" at which you enter the 5 digit code required, which is then followed by pushing the August emblem on the bottom which doesn't necessarily look like a button.  If you enter the code too fast or too slow or become don't wait for the 3-5 second delay it takes to communicate with the lock it can become frustrating very quickly.

Brooke44
Level 2
London, Canada

Curiuos in June 2018 if August locks in Canada are equipped to be integrated with bookings and anyone's experience.  Had to change all the locks after a nightmare guest experience who trashed my home and took my keys... now looking for more security and control on my home. 

Also living in Eastern Canada we experience extreme cold and unsire anyone's experience with functionality of the keypad in these conditions. 

Thanks!

Hi Brooke,

We have a rental in Lake Placid that routinely sees cold temperatures and I have found the keypad to be unreliable in temps below 15 degrees Farenheit.  Overall I have been very pleased with the August smartlock, (besides the keypad).  I do find that I usually have to resend a virtual key to guests about a week before they arrive, as many don't take the time to download an app when they book 2-4 months in advance.  This has just become part of my routine and hasn't been burdensome in any way.  I do have a backup physical key in a lockbox which I change the code on frequently for those who may struggle with the smartlock, but I'd say 90% of the time there isn't an issue and people seem to get used to it quickly.  I do like knowing when people are coming in and out of the house.  Especially our housekeeper, as it is always a worry that the house wasn't cleaned in time for the next arrival.

Fae1
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

On this topic, I just linked my AirBnB account to my August lock. I didn't realize this was an option (newbie). I have 3 existing reservations. Will August manage these? As in, send them a notification? OR, do I need to manually issue the virtual keys? Does August notify me, the host, when a key is sent out to a guest? If so, I have not received any notifications yet (setup an hour ago). Thanks for any insight you can offer!

No you'll have to send invites to any existing reservations manually.  It is pretty straightforward.  You only need to enter their mobile phone number, name and hit send.

How far in advance should you send this?

Following!

@Faith-And-Steve0 how far in advance you send the code is a matter of personal preference.

I like to send it about a day and a half in advance, so that the information is easy for the guest to find. (I think it is easier to locate an email from yesterday, as opposed to one that is many months old.)

But if the guest asks for it a bit early, I just send it then.