Using the room for storage !!!

Barbara346
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Using the room for storage !!!

I recently received this request:

I am coming down to Calgary for a very short duration and was inquiring about an earlier check in time at approximately 1pm? I just need a place to keep my belongings in the meantime and wont be staying overnight as I will be heading back to [city] at 6pm. Please let me know if that works!"

Anyone have any ideas what this is about and how you would have responded?

Thanks !!

7 Replies 7
Christina355
Level 7
Bradenton, FL

Honestly, if you feel comfortable with it I would just say that you're ok with it as long as they are ok paying the nightly rate. I had a guest that arrived at my place around 2am and left promptly at 6am and left me a 5 star review. He still paid for the night and just needed a place to rest for a few hours while he was traveling. You could ask what they are coming to town for and see how you feel about the response. 

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Sounds a little odd i agree!

Firstly i'm a big supporter of beleiving in your gut feeling and if it fells weird, it's sometimes best to cut and run.

That said you can always ask for more details and if you maybe think there's a reasonable explanation then if your happy with it go ahead.

Maybe ask what they are leaving? give them a list of stuff you'd not allow, (large items, food, animals, drugs ect). Maybe find out why they're looking to leave stuff at an airbnb not a luggage storage place in town?

If they have Gov ID and several reviews on airbnb and it looks like they are a regular user they could just be happy to park and leave valuables out side of a city rather than risk in a car all day, and want to use airbnb as they think it might be safer, won't know unless you get a few more details i guess!

Ioannis21
Level 4
Artemida, Greece

Hi all,

i have a similar request in a very low season (mid November). The proposal was to charge half price for the nights that they wont sleep in my home, and full price the nights they will sleep.

As the season is not very active, i agreed to this.It it was during high season i might have second thoughts , but again i would negotiate with potential guest.

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

It does sound a litttle unusual but I'd go for it. People sometimes just need a place to store stuff that's convenient, and as long as the timings work for you, it should be fine. Just think: a guest leaving no mess, no hassle, no dirty sheets, minimal cleaning.... and it would be easy to score a 5-star review for your flexibility. I rent a room out close to a major airport so I have people coming at odd times, dropping stuff early and much more: as long as it doesn't give you too much trouble, I'd say go for it. Happy hosting!

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

If I had the space, I'd do it. Or just say "you can book the room for an overnight accommodation and whether you choose to sleep there or not is up to you."

I don't think it's odd- bus stations dont store and neither do airports

@Zappa0    Yes, almost all bus stations and airports I have been through (a lot) have storage lockers for rent. 

@Barbara346  I'd not accept this myself. You have no idea what is in those bags they want to leave at your house- could be drugs, or other contraband.

Damir12
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Sharespace (joinsharespace.com) is perfect for this use case!