Utilisation of wash cloth?

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Utilisation of wash cloth?

I am originally from Eastern Europe and have never even heard about wash cloth until I visited American relatives in a suburban town. This was many years ago but this is something I never got into a habit of using.

Now three guests in a row asked me where the wash cloths were. I provide bath and hand towels. I don’t mind getting them wash cloth. I am sure it is an inexpensive addition. However I have no clue how to set them up. One at each sink? One on top of each towel? Is it one per customer or stack/roll in the bathroom?

Has everyone who has ever been to my own home thought “that crazy Russian lady” (I am quoting Anna from another thread) doesn’t even have wash cloth?

1 Best Answer
Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I leave one bath towel and one washcloth on top of the towel on each bed. Two of each if people stay three nights or more. Then I have one hand towel on display in the bathroom that I change at least every day. If wet I change it immediately. I've grown up with one cloth for "upstairs" and one cloth for "downstairs". They hang on seperate hooks to avoid being used on the wrong "floor". I see my friends with children still practise this.

Cloths avoid excessive use of water. It also saves the bigger towels from being ruined. I buy mine at IKEA. 10 pcs at about 4 Euros.

Mariann 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Inna22  I am pretty sure I would not be familiar other country customs, so good for you!  I provide a washcloth, hand towel and bath towel per guest.  I display the bath towel and roll up the washcloths and hand towel in a container.  I can have up to 4 guests using the private bathroom.

I have a great over the door towel rack that has a basket where I put the hand towels and wash cloths and enough hooks for the bath towels.  I do not want guest bring damp towels into the bedrooms.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Inna22, I have them rolled in a basket beside the towels. Dark and light, hoping dark are used for makeup/mud removal. 

In places I have stayed, I think it is one on top of the towel? But beside the sink seems fine. 

The good thing about them is that makeup stains ruin only a small piece of cloth, not an entire towel. So you are not crazy, only misguided. (Kidding! Or I am misguided, too. I seldom use one myself - cleaning the face is what cupped hands are for.)

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 Yes, very inexpensive to pick up a pack of washcloths! Like others, I roll them up and place them in a basket on the sink. I provide two per guest, but one per guest should be sufficient.

If your sink has a cabinet underneath, you could put them there, or display them with the towels you provide.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

We have the bath towels foled in the bathrooms and the hand towels and the wash clothes draped over the towel racks in the bathrooms, with the hand towel first, then the washcloth draped over the hand towel. I have a max of 6 guests, but generally 4 can book. Still I put out 6 sets, 3 in each bathroom. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Inna22 ,

yet another annoying example how much trouble crazy russian ladies can cause in a society.

In Anna's case, crazy russian lady no 1, we've learned that it is possible to create a 17 page thread involving 43 CC members discussing a topic without being able to find out what the topic really is. In Your case, crazy russian lady no 2, we now must realize that someone from that origin doesn't know what wash clothes are!

How much do You think a society can endure until everyone becomes racist?

@Ute42  as always, you are too funny and spot on! 

@Ute42 haha! 

@Ute!!!

🤣🤣😂😂

Mariann 🙂

@ UTE

(I can't tag you)

Just wanted say say...LOL!

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I stack one bath sheet, one hand towel and the wash cloth per person, and set them on the vanity in their bathroom. I do a small fold of the top 1/3 half of the washcloth to get just a bit of height.

At the foot of a bed is also an option, but I don't do this because:

1. they have a private bath

2. I want wet towels to live in the bathroom

I tried to upload a photo, but it is too big, and I am too lazy and hot to edit it.

@Ute42  lol

@Inna22 We hang ours on a towel bar, bath towel first, then hand towel with the wash cloth last. Sometimes if there are more people we will put more folded in the bedrooms, towels, then hand towels with washcloths on top. Each room has a hamper but we do ask that damp towels be hung in the bathroom ( there are extra hooks for that.) If guests are staying a week or more we point out the linen closet and let them help themselves, so far no one has abused this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22   An observation I've made is that women use washcloths, but after a male guest has left, I find the washcloth unused, still folded on the shelf. 

Washcloths are not only used for washing one's face- many people use them in the shower to scrub their body, as you would use a loofah.

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Inna22   An observation I've made is that women use washcloths, but after a male guest has left, I find the washcloth unused, still folded on the shelf.

My family it is the opposite. My husband uses the washclothes, and I do not. But a host might not know this, since he always uses the one put out for my use in addition to his own.

@Inna22

In Korea, most people use shower balls or bath sponges - which is what I've been providing. 

I usually get a new one for each guest and they cost under $1 but since wash cloths are reusable, I think I should consider switching to wash cloths! 

Personally........ I like the green Korean-style exfoliating wash cloths. I always travel with one 🙂 

https://www.vogue.com/article/korean-exfoliating-wash-cloth-mitt-dermasuri