Value

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Value

"Value" I find to be a very subjective category to rate a host on. Its been a category that I've struggled with for awhile and AirBnB only states to add more free stuff or lower the price. Well, I've added more free things- bottles of champagne, robes, bottled water and cookies, but I'm still scoring lower than id like in this category. Lowering the price only seems to bring out truly ungrateful thrifty people who lack all manners of communication and social graces.

We need more specifics! With that said I'm happy to hear about the new review metrics and that if a guest is rating lower than 5 stars they are finally telling us why they have chosen that score. Often times a guest believes there destination should adjust to the amount they can spend. I work in the hospitality industry and I see it day in and day out: cheap people going on vacation and every single purchase is like pulling teeth and they balk at the price of a cup of coffe. This mindset seems to extend to the value portion of hosts ratings. The guest will knowingly book my place at $49 a night arrive, enjoy their stay and say they felt it wasn't a good value. In what regards? You got exactly what you paid for. If you wanted something cheaper wouldn't you have booked something cheaper? Oh, wait that cheap place was 20 mins away from me. You can't have it all people.

The value aspect is further skewed because the price we set isn't the price the guest pays. I could set my rate at $39/night but after fees and such the rate per night the guest sees may double and the host takes the fall for it.

We are at a place in time where people on vacation are looking to stay at a place for less than $49 a night and local hotels charge close to that in resort fees.

32 Replies 32
Dawn62
Level 1
Halifax, Canada

Thank you for all this helpful feedback.  I looked up this question of value on AirBnB because I've had guests write that they loved their stay, the house, the area, the cleanliness, the decor, the host etc.  Score their stay overall & in all categories as 5 stars and then give 3 stars for value.   So I've been wondering what this arbitrary question is about... how do the guest know how to respond to the question of value.  Perhaps some parameters would be helpful.  Or perhaps the value rating should not be included in the overall rating system, since it is so subjective.  

Its weird how guests behave... I've even had a guest score 4 or 5 stars in all categories and over all rate the stay as 2 stars.  The first time I ever got two stars... I was so surprised... nearly lost my superhost status over that & the 3 stars value ratings.  

Another area that confuses me is bathroom.  I have an amazing bathroom, heated floor, jacuzzi tub, massive 2 person shower, 2 sinks, large counter, fresh linens, soap, shampoo & conditioner and it is cleaned daily.  And I get feedback that the bathroom needs cleaning attention and we ought to provide soap.   We have soap at each sink and in the shower... what's a host to do? 

we were dinged on Value by the first two bookings we ever had on Airbnb, even though they had a 20% discount, and one of them was a host who ought to have known better.

Thank you "smart" pricing......

Jill371
Level 2
Lake Placid, NY

I think the VALUE star rating should be removed. 

I have had guests leave 5 stars for everything else - then a 4 for VALUE??? They knew the price when they booked - they could have booked something cheaper - they had NOT ONE ISSUE and LOVED EVERYTHING ... YET they felt the VALUE was not there??? Sorry I do not get that ... I have sent messages to AirBNB about this - I do not really care about the past reviews ... BUT I feel they should remove that from the review process! Thanks for listening 😉