How should I react to a Vaping guest?

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

How should I react to a Vaping guest?

Guests arrived yesterday (1st time Airbnbers) - smoking anywhere on the property, inside or out, is banned in my listing. Yesterday evening I saw one of them vaping in the garden. I'm unsure how to handle this, since my rules don't say anything about vaping! They seem nice but I've already had to tell them off for throwing their leftover sandwiches into my part of the garden for the chickens to find (illegal and dumb!).

29 Replies 29
Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kathie21 I would not worry too much about vaping in the garden, but don't allow it in the house.  As an ex smoker myself, I have the occasional puff on an e-cigarette, and like vaping, it only produces a clear vapour which does not smell or cause offence.  However, if it does upset you, ask them to do it outside the garden boundary.  You could add it to your house rules as well.

The sandwiches are a far bigger problem as they could attract rats,  so I suppose you could also add a "Do not feed the chickens" rule as well.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kathie21 they obviosly haven't read or don't care about your house rules. You can send them again politely saying that maybe they missed them and see how it goes. To be honest, I am pretty sure that a not so good review is coming from them since they don't know the concept of Airbnb and have no respect for your home. They probably think they'll get treated like in a hotel. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

But to be fair, my house rules don't (yet!) say anything about vaping or feeding the chickens - neither activities had occurred to me (my bad!).

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kathie21 so this is a learning experience. You can now add these things to your house rules. I ajust my house rules all the time because there is always another guest to show you another way to disrespect your home. 

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Kathie21,

I dont know about you but for me it is pure common sense. If I were a smoker at a unfamiliar home/environment, I would politely ask if I could smoke. The same goes to the animals feeding, you would think an adult would know better as to not to feed them without the owners approval. 

However, there are some very very stupid people who need to be told how to behave. So, please think of all those details that might bother you and put them high and clear in your house rules.

Elizabeth and Ana (sorry, you don't appear in the tag possibilities),- vaping or using an e-cigarette is not smoking! It simply produces water vapor. It is in no way disrespectful for a guest to do this, unless a host has specifically mentioned not doing so in their house rules.

But it leaves a bad smell

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

As with a lot of these brand new harmless encounters with guests, best to make light of them with the existing guests, and when they leave run to your description (or house rules) and add them.  The not-feeding of the chickens should be mentioned during walkthrough, in order to not create too much of a 'Don't Do This & That' house rule set.

Hospitality includes being accomodating of differences and unexpected behavior, not always a test of will at every junction.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Kathie21 Since your rules do not specifically mention vaping, if they are not staying too much longer, I would let it go and take it as a learning experience. I would add that in your rules specifically going forward. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kathie21 Vaping is pretty harmless, as long as they're only doing it outside. I would let it go and change your rules.

For the chicken thing, I would just mention to them casually in passing and remember to mention it to future guests.

If you forget things in your house rules, it will inevitably be drawn to your attention by guests who do dumb things!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Vaping = Smoking as far as I am concerned, I do not allow either inside my property, they can outside.

David
Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Thanks all.  I don't allow smoking in the garden because I figure smokers will smoke inside if it's raining/they don't feel like going outside, but I guess vapers are at least trying to give up.   She may be vaping inside though, as its a separate unit I wouldn't know.  But they're only here 3 nights so I'll just let it go.  I already told  them not to feed the chickens because I saw them run for the sandwiches and I went and took them off them, then realised the guests were sitting in the garden and saw me, so I had to say something! 

I really don't like having to have long lists of rules - can't I just specify 'sensible guests only' in my listing lol.

"Sensible educated guest only" LOL
@Kathie21 To add a little value and not just jokes, I leave you this option to consider in the future.

Bussiness wire: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220714005703/en/Wynd-Technologies-Unveils-Innovative-Smoke-...

Sentry website: https://hellowynd.com/pages/sentry?utm_source=instagram&utm_medium=lagref&utm_campaign=sentry_preord... 

If I get a gadget to add common sense to rude guests I'll let you know