Venting and advice for bad guests?

Richard2261
Level 2
Cancún, Mexico

Venting and advice for bad guests?

Hi, just need to vent but any advice dealing with the following guest would be great. 

We've had our airbnb in Mexico for 4 years now. Great reviews, a couple bad guests that have caused damage but this one is different. Yesterday a guest arrived. I knew it would be trouble. I contacted them days before asking if they had questions, sent them a Google map, etc.. They didn't reply until the day they left. They said they'd be at my place by 11 or 12. They didn't arrive until 730pm and I had to drive and get them because they couldn't use Google maps and were lost. They are probably in their late 50's with a couple teenagers with them. 9 people in all. Steets and traffic in Cancun are crazy, definitely need a cell phone to navigate. Car GPS is useless here because so many streets are not updated on old style GPS. 

When they arrived they couldn't use the key to open the gate. Then they couldn't figure out the airconditioner remotes...just press power and choose the temp. Then one of them proceeded to take all the bed sheets off the bed to wash even though they are all new sheets, just washed by a cleaning company we use and sanitized. We tried to explain. Our houses are always super clean. 

Today they said the water smells funny. It's mexico, definitely different than the US or Canada that's why you don't drink it. Never had this complaint. 

They want us to print out maps for them because they can't use Google maps on their phones. 

They're afraid of the jungle around the house and freaked out when they saw a small gecko on the wall and wanted it killed. 

They want a curtain over sliding doors that go to the backyard...there is a 15ft solid wall fence with no back neighbors or side neighbors.  

Now they said a bathroom doesn't work. I have to go check it out. 

We are getting hourly texts form them and have 6 days to go 😞

They have no plan to do anything and I found out that they are here for dental work for one of them. 

I think they're just setting things up to get some kind of discount. 

Any uplifting advice? 

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

“Hi, X, it seems that our place is failing to meet your expectations on a number of fronts. We want all of our guests to be happy, so if you would prefer to check out now and find a place that is a better fit for you I will be happy to refund your unused nights.”

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Richard2261 No uplifting advice I am afraid but do make sue you record everything on Airbnb message system. Even if they don't use it you can message things like 'Glad to see bathroom issues were due to XXX and all is now well'.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Richard2261 

Do you have any local connections (ie hotels) that can take them?  If so, maybe get them checked in  elsewhere and refund unused days.  Just a thought.  Keep customer support advised as things progress to add to your reservation record.  It should show that you are being proactive in managing this guest.  Good luck.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Give them a deal they can't refuse - find them a place that 'sounds' better, with a full refund, but at all costs get rid of therm.