Verified ID yet not real name, AirBnB hangs up on me??

Claire446
Level 3
Portland, OR

Verified ID yet not real name, AirBnB hangs up on me??

So I had a guest book with a rather strange and very obviously not real name, despite being verified with government ID. They then tell me that's actually the name of their dog. I call AirBnB to ask if this is possible. They say if her ID is verified, then I can be certain it's her real name. I point out that she is obviously not called "Mary LuvMyPoodle" in real life, and she even acknowledges in her message that it's not real, but that's what her profile ended up with because that's what she uses for Facebook.

AirBnB then tells me she must've altered it. Except she hasn't. She's already told me in her message that she wants to use her real name, and hasn't altered it to intentionally be this. So AirBnB is clearly lying about verifying her ID.

Then the guy on the phone says:

"Okay, I'll investigate that."

"Yes, please do."

And then the call is instantly ended. No "I'll call you back", or "please stay on the line while I check", or "bye". Nothing... ??

7 Replies 7

@Claire446

You are dealing with support staff who do not know what to do, and have probably had little training or maybe have little experience.

They probably have to go to a supervisior, who is probably super stressed and wait for them to help out...at which point..you may get someone get back to you.

I can imagine that the turnover of staff at AirBnb support is quite high.

It's been a couple of days since that call. No response whatsoever!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Claire446 an ID gets "verified" and then a guest may change it to whatever they like. @alice&jeff wrote a very thorough post on this once.

The only way that you will ever know actual identification info for a guest is if you ask to see their ID yourself.

Wow, I thought this was a real forum but now I'm starting to think this is just a place where employees come promote the website. 

Did anyone who responded here even read my post?? The guest  didn't change her name. The guest accidentally ended up with her dog's name because that's her facebook name, but she sent her government ID and wants to use her real name. AIRBNB "VERIFIED" A NAME THAT DIDN'T MATCH. 

I get that AirBnB can't always catch everything, but they PRETENDED TO HAVE VERIFIED an obviously fake name that the guest didn't even intend to use. 

I have no problem with the guest herself, I spoke with her, verified her myself, and she'll be coming to stay with me. I'm not a moron, I do my own research. My issue is with the fact AirBnB LIED about verifying, and hung up on me as well and has made no effort to contact me about the matter again.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Claire446

Claire every enquiry that Airbnb deals with will be accompanied by a feedback email asking for your comments on the quality of assistance you received. This is where you vent your 'spleen' if you feel you have been short changed!

You seem rather agitated about this request Claire! Airbnb do require a potential guest to 'jump through hoops' when it comes to verification, and a potential guest cannot actually complete a booking until the verification process has been satisfactorally completed!

Tell me Claire, how would you have reacted to a booking request from a guest with this profile....

Cleanskin.png

She was a 'cleanskin', and I took her booking on and she proved to be a wonderful guest and will be welcome back here by me or my wife at any time in the future.

Your guest enquiry may have seemed strange to you Claire but.....we are all different.

CS don't have a magic wand and they cannot guarantee that guest will be what you consider to be acceptable, all they can do is establish in a rudimentary way, the guest is who they say they are.

You need to take control of your business Claire, it is up to you to assess who you will accept and who you won't .

I can't believe how many wonderful people there are out there in the world, I have hosted more than 150 of them here, I have never had a problem, and Claire I don't expect one. I vet my enquiries and bookings thouroughly and I do on odd occasions decline a request.

But I love that this job brings the world to my door, and l would not have it any other way!

Cheers......Rob

I wish I had the good fortune to get such an inquiry @Robin0

@Claire0 - btw this IS a real forum. If the guest sounds legit, what is the problem? The fact Airbnb hasn't gotten around to force or worked with her to change her name immediately? If such a thing is going to upset you so much, you are bound not to have too much fun dealing with Airbnb.

Good for you Rob, go tell the people who have faced violence and shootings and had their properties damaged by AIRBNB guests. 

Tell them not to worry and all guests are fine. I feel Claire has a right to know who is coming to her home, especially their first name. It is an excellent idea to ask to see their ID to verify their identity . After all, just cause Airbnb verified their ID does not make them saints. They could be a tiger in sheep's clothing . You do things your way, let others do it their way without criticizing them.  Cheers.......