Vermont restrictions

Eric940
Level 2
Boston, MA

Vermont restrictions

Hi all - Starting 12Nov, Vermont will now require all non-essential travelers from out-of-state to quarantine for 14 days or quarantine for 7 days and show a negative test. Over the last couple of months, I have required all guests to complete a Certificate of Compliance that certifies they've complied with several conditions regarding COVID safety. Although all guests have signed the form, I’ve relied on the honor system as the state does.

With the winter ski season quickly approaching, I understand that skiing is not essential travel…so should all reservations be cancelled as of tomorrow? I know all of the ski resorts have made great efforts to keep guests safe but what are hosts supposed to do with such short notice? I understand the governor's concerns with keeping residents as safe as possible but notice of the restriction was just released on 10Nov…2 days’ notice!!

I'm just curious what other hosts in Vermont are doing with their upcoming reservations with such short notice.

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes areas are being closed down at short notice @Eric940  Thats the nature of Covid.

In England this happened to us recently when the whole country went into lockdown for a month.

So I would you do what hosts all over the world have had to do when their areas lock down. Contact the guests. Tell them of new regulations Suggest they rebook and if that’s not possible- they should be able to cancel penalty free.. 

They will need to share comfy the area is closed for all but essential travel. 

sometimes you need to text them too as not all guests have their accounts set to receive message updates. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Eric940  It sounds like your non-essential (and essential travel not quarantining) should be canceled. What are ski resorts going? One would think they would have to shut down, if not only available to Vermont residents. 

Jessica2103
Level 2
Randolph, VT

Thank you for posting this. I believe if they have quarantined already or wait 7 days and get tested it is ok..... but for immediate bookings I’m not sure

Jessica2103
Level 2
Randolph, VT

Please let me know what you decide as we also have a Vermont Air BnB @Eric940 

Trying to research everything myself, what’s allowed and what’s not allowed. It’s so confusing

Hi @Jessica2103 - Sorry I'm just seeing your comment now. Since skiing is not essential travel, out-of-state travelers do have to complete either a 1 or 2-week quarantine. But for starters since the shortest quarantine period allowed by VT is 1 week (with a negative COVID test), I don't allow bookings less than a week in advance. When someone books, I send them a link to VT's COVID compliance page...https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/files/documents/lodging-certificate-of-compliance-updated-202...

FYI, this link/form has changed at least once during the time that it's been active, so just remember to see if the link works first before sending it. I ask them to confirm that they can fulfill one of the 2 travel requirements and have them send me their completed forms 1 day before or on the day of their arrival which hosts are required to keep on file for 30 days. Everyone has been fantastic about getting me their forms to me.

I know the guest's honor system is at play...I try to do my best and regularly check if any of the guidelines have changed by visiting https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel. I have a strict cancellation policy and I let people know that as well in my welcome email just in case they miss it while booking...I think it helps them to think twice before booking (there's a 48 hour window where they can cancel without penalty). Pre-COVID, I let the guest discover that info for themselves but during-COVID, I want to do my part as best I can because I love the town we have a place in and the people that take care of my property are all amazing so I really try to respect them as much as possible.

Hope this helps!

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

@Eric940 it’s an impossible situation- some playing by the rules and some not (both guests and hosts). I’ve started every inquiry letting them know to check the rules, regs, etc before they book and that it is a strict cancellation policy. I let three guests who booked before the last set of restrictions cancel penalty free and was told if I continue to do that they would remove my listing.