Very Unhappy with Airbnb - Unbelievably Bad Customer Service!

Very Unhappy with Airbnb - Unbelievably Bad Customer Service!

I had a guest book from june 8-23

on june 12 the guest emailed me that there was too much noise and he was going to move out.  There is a residence being built two doors down.  I figured too bad for him, but at least i'll get paid, which seems logical right?

no, airbnb sided with him and refunded the undstayed days!  they said I should have disclosed that there was construction nearby.  Personally I find this ludicrous, as there is construction on every block of this booming city (seattle).  I guess the guy just stays home all day and sleeps and was expecting it to be quiet.  

I argued that the crows are very noisy this time of year what with their chicks being born and all.  Also there is a bus line one block away, and who knows maybe a neighbor will decide to have backyard bbq duiring my guests stay.  Are these things I should "disclose"?  Of course not.  I wouldn't even know where to start and stop with disclosures about noise.  

The construction site follows the noise ordinance and there is no activiity nights and weekends.  Not to mention there are several other remodels and other construction projects withing a block or two.  Oh and I didn't mention the grade school a block away where the kids at recess could really wake you up from a noontime nap....

Airbnb accused me of hiding the fact that I new there was construction going on two doors down and didn't mention it to the guest.  Well now we will know an easy loophole to get out of a reservation if your plans change and you don't want to pay for what you agreed to pay - just mention some kind of normal city noise and you'll get your money back....

26 Replies 26
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Not surprising. You should add the disclosure of possibility of noise to your listing. Click on "Potential for noise" under "Details guests must know about your home" in the "Booking Settings" tab. You have the option to add notes about what you mean. That should hopefully give you firmer ground to stand on if it happens again.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I agree that potential for noise is a good thing to disclose as a host who is concerned about the comfort of the guest.   If the guest books with that information, Air BNB will back you up.  I wonder if you would appreciate the same considertion if you were a guest.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow!  I just looked at your listing.  You are renting an empty house? !  Amazing.  Hats off to you for seeing this potential and good luck with your remodel!

That's right, the house is empty. It's an indoor campground.

Interesting concept. Never thought of that as a business opportunity.

Maybe he could rent the house while remodeling and the inhouse

construction noise would drown the construction work that goes

on down the block and so wouldn't disturb the campers.

Yes! And provide hard hats, orange vests, and metal lunch pails with baloney sandwiches!

Sure I could dislclose the possibilty of noise and there is no reason not too.  I appreciate the feedback from uber Aribnb pros who know the deep inner corners of this platform, where such buttons can be clicked.  Thank you - I will certainly do that. 

But my point is being lost.  Why should I disclose normal city noise?  Or more importantly why should I be punished if do not think to do so? 

This construction happening two doors down.  In a busy city with construction on every block.  This is a house the the guest has all to themselves - on a big city lot with lots of sun and privacy.  There is no construction going on in the house or any of the immediate neighbors' houses.   

Why should you disclose it? Because there is an option to do so, and by not doing it you are implying that there is no potential for noise, thus opening yourself up for complaints, as happened. Your guest was disturbed by noise, which you easily could have disclosed, but did not. Maybe your guest chose your listing because he thought it would be quiet (rightly or wrongly). Why should you *not* disclose it, to ensure your guests are informed and don't book a place that doesn't suit them, making trouble for both of you?

You are wrong.  Accept that you are wrong,   learn the lesson,  and move on.

Wow everybody is out to lunch on this.  Of course he shouldn't have to disclose normal city noise.  Who would even think to do that?  A construction site two doors down in a bustling city?  I don't think so.  Makes me reconsider this whole Airbnb thing...

Since you just joined Air BNB this month and I don't see that you are either a host or a guest, Caery, I wonder what you are reconsidering about Air BNB. 😄

For some people who may not have experience with a big city, it would be good to help them have an accurate picture of the conditions of the listing.  For example, my listing is in a desert and most people do not realize how very hot and dry it can get here, even during fall and spring.  I communicate with them to ensure that their expectations align with what I have to offer.  I am more concerned that the guest experience be a good one than being "right".  Perhaps that is why I enjoy the "whole Air BNB thing".

Exactly.

Very good point, Linda, I admire it! Being "right" or contribute to a good experience of your guest - perhaps this is the line between the real "Air BnB thing" and the profiteer spirit which steps in this community. 

You’re right. The point of Airbnb is convenience. More and more people are starting to expect luxury. And Airbnb allows them to get away with minor complaints and get their money back. It is not fair for hosts.

Being able to sleep without being disturbed is not luxury,  especially for the approximate third of the population with sleep disorders.  It's a basic necessity.  Fail to provide it,  don't expect to be paid.