Very discouraged about 'quality' of airbnb guests

Mary1135
Level 8
Bar Harbor, ME

Very discouraged about 'quality' of airbnb guests

I don't know, is it me?  Is it too much to think guests might understand that a host is opening her home to them, and therefore it's a special situation, a unique setting, a glimpse of a local's life?  I am not a Hampton Inn, and I don't have generic Ikea furniture.  When I plan trips, my husband and I actively seek out interesting, unusual places to stay.  Do people not understand what airbnb is supposed to be?

Last season I had a guest who tried to squeeze me for the cleaning fee -- but she was rude and she left the place a mess.  It's a lousy $25!

This week a guest who has no idea how the 'rate float' works hounded me to rebate the overage for the week they want to stay, which he says is a total of $100.  I finally told him that he should just cancel if that rate won't work for him.  Which he did.  Now he's sending me messages demanding I return his 'service fee'.  I politely explained that the host has no control over that -- that he will need to contact Airbnb.  Good grief!  He wouldn't do that if I were travelocity, or an airline, or a hotel chain, right?  I'm just one host with one apartment that I hope people will enjoy.

I had a group of ladies on 'girls' trip who broke an antique goblet (in my part of the house) and left me 5 bucks, I had people try to sneak in their dogs (multiple), I had people snooping around my workspace (my art studio), although it is clearly marked Private.  I've had people complain and whine that the apartment doesn't have this or that -- when all of the amenities are listed, and there are ample photos showing the space.  

I would say that my experiences with Airbnb guests are running 60::40, 60% seem to be good people, 40% not so much.  If the balance tips anymore, I will delist after this season and just rent the space year-round.

That rant over, how do you all deal with these situations?  I took off Instant Booking (although airbnb nags me about that) and I've listed on other sites.  I send messages and hope to engage guests in dialog.

I don't know.  I am pretty discouraged.

Thanks for any insights or commiseration.

Mary

70 Replies 70

Uh the only person to blame here is yourself.  She booked for 1 person and had multiple people come and stay and you waited it out. ABB is not to blame, YOU are.

You had every right to kick her out with no refund and ABB would have backed you on this and didn't.

This is no different than someone coming to a restaurant, ordering food and disliking it and instead of letting management know, you eat all the food and then go on Yelp to complain. Come on! I know my reply is harsh but COME ON.

Harsh man. Wow. I was awware of my right to evict them. However, because I knew they were homeless and there were innocent children involved (who by the way were extremely respectful and sweet), I chose to let them stay... I ended up being the kickball pitcher and freeze tag referee everyday when the kids came home from school. It was probably the best week of their life. I myself lived in a bus for 2 years as a kid before my parents could get into a real home so I do have a soft spot for kids who are in situations out of their control. And yes, even now I could send mom an invoice for the crap she stole (I'm missing a couple towels and small blankets, on top of all the pleasantries I had stocked) but she needs them more than I do, and I'm just chalking this up to my own niavety and a lesson learned. I am however, going to leave an honest review so she doesn't do this again. 

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

@Cynthia469 shame I feel sorry for you that this happened to you with your first guest. It becomes easier to make the right call in situations as you have more guests/ experience. 

But as @John2374  says you should have contacted Abnb immediately. It’s not acceptable behaviour

by any strecth of imagination, having one extra guest would have been wrong but 10 is ridiculous. Make sure you give a 2 or 1 star rating that way they will not be able to book with you again. 

I hope you will have the courage to continue hosting, while it is often challenging their are many rewards too. 

Best of luck 

I did contact Air BNB immediately, and you are both correct - I was well within my rights to evict them and in hindsight, I should have. However, because I knew they were homeless and there were innocent children involved (who by the way were extremely respectful and sweet), I chose to let them stay... I ended up being the kickball pitcher and freeze tag referee everyday when the kids came home from school. It was probably the best week of their life. I myself lived in a bus for 2 years as a kid before my parents could get into a real home so I do have a soft spot for kids who are in situations out of their control. And yes, even now I could send mom an invoice for the crap she stole (I'm missing a couple towels and small blankets, on top of all the pleasantries I had stocked) but she needs them more than I do, and I'm just chalking this up to my own niavety and a lesson learned. I am however, going to leave an honest review so she doesn't do this again. 

Let me learn you something guy.  Don't believe every sob story you hear.  The fact she made her kids address their situation to you showed they played you.

Go to CL, the same sob story is played there.

Hold on to your balls next time and kick names and take ass.

You paid for it this time, next time don't. It's your home, your family, they come first.

"Cleaned out of every mint, sugar packet, tea bag..."

I'm sorry that happened to you, but boy did I laugh with you on commiseration!

Cynthia,

You are a really sweet and good person.  I'm learning that it doesn't pay to be sweet and good sometimes, in fact it can cost you a lot and make you feel like a first-rate sucker.  It's up to you to determine whether the "good for the kids" outweighs the "taken for a sucker", and I'm sure I'd be more in your camp.

I'm learning so much from these folks here.  I know I've been "too nice" to my guests, when they've surprised me with bringing their dogs, when they and their kids/friends/relatives have swarmed all over my area of the house, when they've taken 'souvenirs', broken stuff, etc. etc.  I'm pretty sure I can never be as antiseptic as our friend John here (shower, sh**, sleep, GTFO!) but I need to wise up and stop giving so much because it's costing me more than it should.

It's all part of the process of learning how to host, I guess, right?

Mary1135
Level 8
Bar Harbor, ME

Oh my GOD! Well, I think this beats everything.  The guests that left today -- THEIR DOG POOPED ON THE FLOOR OF MY GALLERY! 

I do allow guests to bring dogs. They are supposed to pay $25, but most guests just "forget" including this one. This will be more than the $25, because not only the disgusting mess I had to clean up, but the apartment where they stayed (upstairs from the gallery) reeks of dog urine, and there is a wet yellowish stain on the rug. Of course I took photos of all this.  And now I have to clean like a crazy person,  because not only do we sometimes get a guest with allergies (and there's dog hair everywhere), but once a dog voids in the floor,  it signals other dogs to do the same.

This is how guests ruin things for everyone, right? I'm considering banning pets, and I know I'm among the few hosts on this island that allow that.

The Punchline: these guests are Superhosts!!!

(And they seemed very nice.  When I sent the photo of the poop on the floor, she said they never had her out of their sight...except when loading their car.  So...you let the dog run loose in my gallery while loading the car?? You didn't have her on a leash with you??)

Sorry, I'm just really upset. Advice?

M

It looks like we have to kick every 3rd guest out to make airbnb better. Once we start doing that , it will bring airbnb attention to make some changes for the better.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Mary1135 Take photos and get professional cleaner to clean up. Then send both invoice and photos in Airbnb resolution center to request money from the guest. If guests refuse to pay, you can involve airbnb. It will be paid from guests deposit.

Hey Mike --

That's exactly what happened.  It took some time though.  Around 3 weeks after this incident, the guests ponied up some restitution -- not the entire amount I billed, but it was something anyway. 

It was just so annoying to deal with the back-and-forth while this was getting resolved though.  It was a disgusting and ugly issue that I hope I never have again.  I hope none of you have to deal with anything like this.  

Oh well, new season, new guests!

Thanks for all your good words, guys.