Very slow payouts

Answered!
Mark398
Level 3
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom

Very slow payouts

Hi, I am in UK - I am really really fed up, frustrated and angry at the payout system from AirBnB.

The payouts have become really late and I have to chase and chase AirBnB to get them at all. I have actually stopped taking new bookings as this is so bad. Just wondering whether other people are having the same issue, particularly in the UK?

If so, I'd love to hear from you, as I note that AirBnB is regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority. If there is a pattern of bad behaviour on late payouts, I am minded to raise a formal complaint with the UK FSA - AirBnB no doubt think I am powerless.

Well, I am prepared to take them on with the FSA unless they get their act together. In this day and age it SHOULD NOT take over 14 days or more to get a payout from when it due. Really bad.

1 Best Answer
Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Laura1920 @Steve41 

I'm so sorry to hear you've had this issue. Could you let me know if you've now received your payouts and/or if you can see them scheduled in your Transaction History?

As you may have seen on other threads around the CC lately, there was a technical issue which affected payouts due between 18-20 July. The Payments team identified the issue and it is now fixed, so if you still can't see any record of the payment in your Transaction History then it could be that your payment is being affected by a different issue, so do let me know.

View Best Answer in original post

150 Replies 150
Suzanne1045
Level 1
McLean, VA

I agree with you and it is illegal to hold your money they have to pay you after one week to make sure there are no return funds requeste

Brian0
Level 2
San Carlos, CA

Mark, this must be really frustrating. I do know this: Airbnb wants hosts to get paid on time. They know that hosts will leave the platform if they aren't.

Airbnb delivers a payout on the day after a guest checks in. If the guest checks in May 1, Airbnb delivers the payout May 2. However, it takes time for the payout to reach your account. Once the payout is delivered, the amount of time is out of Airbnb's hands. The time it takes for a payout to reach you depends in part on your payout method. E.g., bank direct deposit, Paypal, etc.

I recommend you try two things:

1. Go to the Transaction History. (Click your picture in the top right, then choose Account Settings, then Transaction History.) Hover over the little question mark next to a payout. It should say "This payout should arrive in your account by (date), taking into consideration weekends and holidays." If your payouts are being deposited much later than the estimated date, go to step 2.
  2. Contact Airbnb support and ask why the payouts are so late. Here is a good guide to contacting support: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165

Mark that next day after arrival payout seems to be a fantasy now. 
I'm having to to wait 4 days (during the week, when banks are open around the World), to receive payment for a guest's 4 night stay. 
there is no reason for the delay I can see, other than AirBnB collecting interest on the delay. 

I'm shocked having had guests check in early yesterday March 7, and getting an email today that my payment will probably arrive March 14?? Why? In a time when we can all get funds transferred in 2 days - what system is Airbnb using to slow up this process? It is not my bank. Airbnb is the only co that is holding funds from booking time too--

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Maura23

I'm sorry to read that your payment processing timeframe seems longer than usual. There is some info here on how long it might take depending on the payout method. I hope it helps shed some light on this, but I will also pass on your comments to the team. 🙂

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

The site you sent us to says if you are using a bank account that it will take 3-5 days. This is not true.

I LITERALLY got an email right now on the 17th of October that I won't be paid until the 24th of October. That's 7 days, it also says this does not inlude weekends and may take longer.

When I joined in 2017 payments were withingt 24-48 hours after receipt of payment by the guest. Why are you taking longer and longer. It isn't your money, and I never arranged a credit payment system with you.

In fact. AirBnB is in violation of the Federal Check 21 legislation from 2001, that requires payments to be made by midnight the same day the money is received.

AirBnB is definitely being shady about this.

Mark398
Level 3
Buckfastleigh, United Kingdom

It would be nice if that were true. I have proof otherwise. My guest checked in on 21st April. The payout was marked as happening on 22nd. But it categorically did not - I have proof that you only submitted it to the UK BACS system on 28th April. Explain that?

@Mark398

Hi Mark - this is other hosts trying to help, not AirBnB responding to your query. 

Clearly it's frustrating waiting so long for payment. It should be so much faster in today's day and age, with Faster Payments faciliity, etc.

It may not suit you but we use PayPal which is instant and no fees in the UK. Only once in over a year and a half has there been any delay, and that was because of PayPal's system.

Mark, I'm not sure why you are asking me to explain it. Since you have proof that Airbnb submitted the payment late, why not ask Airbnb about it?

Sorry can't accept that! Payouts can and should be in your account the same Day! They are sitting on the money collecting Interest! If you complain to much they will inform you they can lawfully keep it 30 Days! With PayPal you my wait months!

@@@ i have been using Paypal as my payout method for 4 years and have never had an issue.  It usually arrives in paypal the first business day after check-in.  I notice a lot of hosts in Australa had a massive problem where Airbnb messed up payments - delayed for months - but it only happened to hosts using a bank account payout method, not Paypal

Lee448
Level 1
Leeds, United Kingdom

Why are just parroting the generic Airbnb policy? It is patently untrue. We have all seen payouts take 4 days longer since Airbnb changed their payout bank account last week it’serms deliberate to earn interest and after 6 hours on the phone this last week their advisors offer exactly what you have said Yhry take no responsibility and refuse to engage directly and answer the question 

@Lee448 

The comment you're responding to is an old one, from 2017, so completely outdated now. 

The mods can't answer your questions either as they're not Airbnb staffers, but work for a totally unrelated London firm called Standing on Giants, whose function it is to engage customers with brands, and to whom the management of the Community Centre is outsourced, so they're  not personally in a position to provide you with the relevant information. And the reason the Customer Support staff can't be of assistance to you, is because Airbnb consistently fails to update them on important issues too, so in reality, they're no more informed on the subject than hosts themselves are (and even less so, in many instances)

As you've obviously been getting the runaround from every CX agent you've spoken with this week (which is par for the course with Airbnb in situations like this, unfortunately), and are still none the wiser, perhaps you could try contacting Airbnb Payments UK and/or Citibank directly, and see if you have any better luck there? I've posted all the contact details on Page 3 of this thread. 

Hope you get sorted soon! 

Sue293
Level 1
Wentworth Falls, Australia

AirBnB, slow payers already, have added another day to the time it takes to get paid. This is abusing us, their partners. Having run the treasury function in a corporate (not nearly so large) I can understand the temptation to play this treasuy game. Rates on overnight cash can be quite good and adding one more day will definitely add perhaps as much as a $1m, maybe more, to their bottom line. This obviously does nothing to enhance our partnership and is someting I find really irritating. As an example, here in Oz, I get paid the following Thursday for Friday arrivals. Friday arrivals should be paid on a Monday. In Oz that means unequivocally that I should receive the funds on Tuesday. They exploit the banks get out clause of 3 days and blame them, but I don't buy that for a ninute. They are lying. The payments are actually ordered on a Wednesday to hit my account Thursday.

I have run companies as well and this is absolutely true. In the parlance these are called "overnight bag loans" and they are a shady side of the banking business.

In fact. AirBnB is in violation of the Federal Check 21 legislation from 2001, that requires payments to be made by midnight the same day the money is received.

But we have no one in Government that cares about enforcing this.