Very strict house rules - OK?

Kärt1
Level 1
Tallinn, Estonia

Very strict house rules - OK?

Hi!

I wanted to ask what airbnb users think about a  host and a listing like that: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12593801 ?

I was quite surprised to find a host like that (the communication with the host was also unfiendly and unpleasant).

I personally think these kind of listings might take down the good reputation of airbnb... Hmm...

Regards,
Kärt

10 Replies 10
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Kärt1,

I can understand why you posted this but keep in mind that this is the hosts' listing and they can choose to write what they want under HOUSE RULES...however, I do agree that this host cannot tell people they can't be in the unit during the day....that is something she cannot do because a guests is entitled to sleep, read or work on computer if they choose to in their rental "space" whenever they want....but keep in mind, while this is the host choice to write that, its also the traveler's choice to stay elsewhere.  I personally find her listing rules totally unacceptable, very sad and unwelcoming.   I would never stay there for even one minute.  WOW....yeah I am still speechless.  And this is why the latest peson wrote the review he did when he said....'Stay away!"  

Ask me why I had to add a STrict Rule about Visitors in my listing??   Its a shame that single men think its ok to bring strange drug smelling girls from the beach to OUR HOME to have sex!  yeah, husband stopped that nonsense dead in their tracks....LOL - Take care, Momi, Superhost in Hawaii #LiveAloha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kärt1

It's a really cheap accommodation for NYC, so it can't be expected that it would be top class. 

Airbnb is actually quite strict and if a host keeps getting bad reviews and star ratings they will send out a warning, so there is more supervision than it seems. 

This host is new and the average star ratings will only show after their 3rd or 4th guest, and that should determine this host's future on this website.

Being unprofessional and rude to potential or present guests has no valid excuse. Again, if that is repeat behaviour, I'm sure the reviews and star-ratings will reflect that.

To your question about strict rules -

As a host it's about finding a way of offering an accommodation at a price lower than in a hotel while not having to give up one's life.

I work from home too and need to make sure from my listing and in pre-messaging that I can't have the kind of guests that will be hanging around most of the day. Believe me, I've had that more a number of times and realised that needed to be controlled more.

So now I'm clearer (but friendly) about it, and my weekday price does also take that into consideration.

And even when starting out with few house rules, they seem to keep getting longer with time, since for some people and things have to be spelled out much more clearly...

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

It is her place and she can set her rules. You don't like it, you find somewhere else to stay. Easy! For more comforts, you will presumably have to pay more as well. But a lot of guests just want more, for less. 

I do not find the listing rude, I find it very clear aboit what to expect.

This is obviously a listing for people who will be out sightseeing all day, and will come back at a reasonable hour to sleep. It also gives you a good understanding of the hostess and her routines.

A lot of people tend to overstep the hosts boundaries, so unfortunately, this type of very clearly cut rule setting can be necessary. 

Also, if by unpleasant communication with host you mean asking if you can do things that are not allowed on the listing and they say no, that is not unpleasant, that is you wasting their time. 

Babs0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kärt1,

There is a little truth in all the replies: maybe not the most welcoming of the house rules that I have seen before, but I think it is all from her previous experiences! It is good to communicate your boundaries, so nobody is disappointed. It could have been done in a more friendly way, though. I doubt if being an Airbnb host is something this person will really enjoy, you have to be willing to open your home to travellers!

You can choose to stay somewhere else, don't forget! Keep looking and messaging hosts to find a place you will feel comfortable, there is a lot out there!

Have fun in NYC!

Babs

Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Of course it is entirely up to her to set her house rules.  However odd that in the description she says it has a "relaxed vibe".  Seems anything but to me!

Mel

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Kärt, she is just making it very clear what is expected.  If a visitor does not want to follow the rules, they can make that choice way before they ever get there... they can make that choice while sitting at home.  Makes it easy for everyone.

I don't allow children of any age in the treehouse.  That might seem "strict" to many people, but they find that out while looking at the listing, so there is no problem for anyone at the time of check in.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think the answer is in the two reviews and lack of any star ratings. It's pretty clear that no one in their right mind would stay there - a prison cell would feel more welcoming. At least you know what to expect - zero hospitality and someone who clearly has issues.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

One of the things I really like about Air is the variety of hosts and types of accommodation available. I would probably consider staying there, I would be out all day, in bed at a reasonable time, don't cook on holiday. If it wasn't for long, it would be just another experience. Up to guests where they book. Not everyone needs a socially interactive host, and as long as the listing makes no false promises it is fine.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

The rules definitely don't match the "relaxed vibe" in the description. Having said that, people don't have to rent the space if they're uncomfortable with the rules.

Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

I have very strict rules of accommodation.  And a lot of clients use it to their advantage. You can read the examples inmy topic here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/One-more-catigory-of-Clients-who-are-very-thankful-for-m...